LIFESTYLE + FASHION + BLOGGING TIPS

How To Be A Plant Parent

I am a firm believer that plants make any space that much better. They bring life and decor to a room for not too much of a price. I use to be the type of person who couldn’t keep any plant alive. Now I have 8 plants and counting, and they all are alive and thriving. I thought I would share my tips on how to be a plant parent, even for those who don’t have a green thumb!

Buy A Plant That Needs Little Attention

It’s important to always know how much care a plant will need before buying it. I personally love buying my plants at Ikea because they tell you right on the plant what it needs. Find out how much water the plant needs and how much sunlight it will need too. Also keep in mind your lifestyle when picking one. If you’re someone who travels a lot considering getting something that needs to be watered very little.

Don’t Spend Too Much On One

When you are just starting out getting plants I would suggest not spending too much money on them. You don’t know how long they are going to live, so spending a lot at first isn’t the smartest choice. I would suggest staying between $5-$25. Ikea has some great inexpensive ones that last a long time if cared for. Just be sure to pick the best looking one in terms of health!

Find A Sunny Place for it in your space

Make sure you have a sunny place in your space that will fit your plant. You are safer having a spot that gets sunlight but not direct sunlight. Most plants that don’t need too much care often don’t need direct sunlight. Then every morning just remember to open up your curtains or blinds, and you are all good to go!

Set A reminder each week to water plants

This is the most important part if you are someone who always forgets to water your plants. Use an alarm on your phone, or if you have an iPhone use the reminders app. Set one to go off once or twice a week depending on how much water your plants needs. Make sure to set it either in the morning or at night so you won’t forget and will be at home. This way you don’t have to worry about forgetting one week.

If all else fails, get a cactus!

If you just can’t seem to keep any plant alive, no matter how little watering it needs, get a cactus! Any type of cactus or succulent are both beautiful but also require the least amount of watering. I have one that I water once every two-three weeks, and it’s still alive! So just because you’re not good with plants doesn’t mean you can’t have one.

And those are my tips on how to become a successful plant parent! It will take time to get the hang of it, and it will take some mistakes to learn how to care for them. But you can do it, and over time you’ll become the best plant parent there could be. Let me know what your favorite kind of plant to own is!

Share:

22 comments so far.

22 responses to “How To Be A Plant Parent”

1. Lavanya says:

Cactus and succulents are very low-maintainence so I have a couple around the house. I also want a fiddly fig plant but I don’t know how well I’ll be able to take care of it. Also, setting a reminder is such a nice idea, I usually try and water the plants every Sunday but sometimes I tend to forget. As always, beautiful pictures! Your composition/lighting is perfect!

You are too sweet Lavanya! Thank you so much, that means a lot. I try to water mine on Monday’s but I found setting an alarm helped me be consistent. Fiddly Fig plants look beautiful. I would just research how they need to be cared for x

2. Areeba says:

Omg! I’m definitely going to set a reminder for watering the plants!! Thanks Kara!! You’re a lifesaver 😍😍😍😍 much love x

3. Yuksel says:

Setting a reminder for watering the plants is the best tip!! I have never thought about it! 🙂 Thanks for the tips honey! 💗

4. What a great tips!!! Thanks for sharing it with us, gonna keep this on mind! 🙂

XO, Melissa

5. These are great tips! I have been terrible at keeping plants alive but I did buy a bamboo at IKEA and it has survived through the worst with me =o)

Thank you! I find IKEA’s plants surprisingly live a long time. Hope these tips could help x

6. Katherine says:

These are great tips. I haven’t kept a plant alive yet, so I stopped buying them for a bit haha.

7. Zaira says:

Such a great post girl…
    I am such a bad plant parent, only cactus survive with my cats 🙂
    xx

8. I really not good with plants, I think a reminder would work best. I really enjoyed your pictures. http://www.mrsqbeauty.com

9. Rosa says:

I love plants but I’m so bad at looking after them. I literally managed to make a cactus explode.

10. Kim says:

Your plants look so lively, Kara! Good job keeping them alive! I’ve been really into plants this summer, now that I’ve moved somewhere more sunny. Most of my plants are from IKEA too! I even recognized some of your pots from IKEA. Such a great place.

Kim | Simply Lovebirds

Thank you Kim! I’ve been on a plant buying spree this summer too. I just find it’s the perfect time to buy them. And haha yes my pots are from IKEA. I find they’re the perfect store to shop for everything plant related x

11. Velvet Blush says:

I haven’t had any plants for a good few years now, although I was really into gardening as a kid. These are some great tips xx

Velvet Blush

12. Pallavi says:

The last bit about if all else fails, get a cactus made me laugh because that’s so me. I love that big plant you have in the corner, such a beauty. I have a palm house plant at the moment that I’m trying to keep alive. These were helpful x

-Pallavi