LIFESTYLE + FASHION + BLOGGING TIPS

The Positive I Found In Being Shadow Banned On Instagram

As many of you know a few weeks ago Instagram was hacked. As a precautionary measure, all accounts that were hacked were shadow banned on hashtags for 14 days. Although they did this to make sure the accounts weren’t spam/fake, it was still a bit upsetting at first. This meant that none of my photos posted showed under hashtags unless you followed me. Although this lowered my engagement and likes on my account, I actually found quite a lot of positive things that came from been banned. I thought I would share with you the positive and negative, so if you ever get shadow banned (hopefully this won’t happen), or if you have been you may be able to relate!

Positive

• I enjoyed going on Instagram more because I focused less on likes. I usually like to get close to 100 likes before I go to bed. During those two weeks I stopped caring how much I got because it was out of my control. And even though I am always grateful to get any amount of likes, I was more grateful during the shadow ban and now after it.

• Less people played the follow/unfollow game during this time because they couldn’t find my account under hashtags. More people followed me because they liked my account, which was a refreshing change.

• I found the engagement and interactions on my photos were more genuine and meaningful. I got more comments that were related to the photo and had more conversations with people who followed me. And more people who follow me started liking my photos than they normally do.

• I saw more people that I follow photos than before, because I was interacting with them more. It was a nice way to beat the new algorithm for a little while.

• Overall I spent less time on Instagram and was less stressed. I had more time to do other things that I enjoy, like reading and spending more time with family. And Instagram became more enjoyable to spend time on.

Negative

The only negative was that I didn’t get as many likes as I normally did before the ban. I also didn’t get as many new people finding my account, but often times most people just want a follow back.

Overall I actually enjoyed being shadow banned on Instagram (which is a bit weird, I know). It taught to appreciate more the likes and interactions that I do get, and to not focus on numbers too much. I also have come to love Instagram more now since it has become less stressful.

And that is my positive and negative of being shadow banned on Instagram! Let me know if you’ve ever has this happen, and how you felt/dealt with it. And you can follow along with my Instagram here.

Share:

15 comments so far.

15 responses to “The Positive I Found In Being Shadow Banned On Instagram”

1. Eloise says:

Such an interesting read. I genuinely didn’t think there’d be much positive for that ridiculous shadowban but this was quite enlightening. It’s crazy how much social media can stress us out!

2. E says:

Hi Kara. I didn’t know Instagram was hacked! And I didn’t see something different on my followers or following people. As everything in live, it is good to focus on the possitive aspects than the negative ones.
    Kisses,
    E.

3. Mel says:

It’s actually nice to hear the positives of being shadow banned as I only ever see people freaking out and trying their hardest to reverse it. I’ve sort of given up on Instagram for the time being as I’m so over the follow/unfollow game but I think I might treat it like I’ve been shadowbanned and not bother so much about the ever changing numbers. Instagram is a great platform but the bots are making it irritating to use.

I like the idea of treating it like you’ve been shadow banned. I agree that the follow/unfollow game and bots have started to ruin Instagram. Not focusing on the numbers and posting the photos you love is what has helped me fall back in love with using it!

4. Yuksel says:

That is such a great post, Kara as I recognised some changes with my Instagram but didn’t know what was going on…:) now I know 🙂
    Have a nice day!

bukalemun.pl

5. Viktoria says:

Hi Kara,

While I’m sorry you were hacked and shadowbanned, this was such a refreshing post. I agree with everything and follow a similar approach – do not worry about the numbers, but really focus on genuine engagement and building connections!
    xx
    Viktoria

Thank you Viktoria! I’ve started taking that approach to Instagram more and more too. The numbers have become the least important thing to me now and it definitely helps make Instagram more enjoyable x

6. I love how you’ve reflected on the positive aspects of the shadow ban – it’s really nice to take a minute to think about some of the benefits of something that seemed really negative initially. Great post!

Heather xx

7. Stacey says:

Wow I was really under a rock when this happened! I’m glad you see more positive than negative when this happened to you. Whether we want to believe it or not we all are a bit obbessed with the likes especially in the blogging world because of how competitive this can get. If I don’t post for one entire week or only once my engagement goes down so much that I admit it has been very overwhelming and sad. Anyways it’s best to just focus on creating content that you like rather than what you think others would like anyways right? Greta post btw!

Stacey, thebambieyes.com

Thank you Stacey! And you are so right! We all do get obsessed with likes and it makes Instagram less enjoyable. I have the same issue if I don’t post on a regular basis, but I still give my self days off because I need them. I use to post photos I thought people would like, but once I started posting what I liked I enjoyed it more and my engagement went up! x

8. Kim says:

Whoa I had no idea that Instagram got hacked. Like you, sometimes I struggle with Instagram so I take a break every now and then (such as during this two-week shadow ban) and post less frequently. It’s terrible for my growth, meaning my account grows really slowly, but it’s better for my health and happiness I guess haha. So glad you found the positive from this shadow ban!

Simply Lovebirds