As of yesterday, October 17, I am now 21 years old. This age seems so surreal to me because it feels like just yesterday I was a teenager wishing of getting to 21. These past 21 years have been overall absolutely amazing, and I’m very blessed to have the life I do. I thought I would share with you 21 things I’ve learned in the 21 years of my life. Everything from advice, lessons, and more!
1. There really is no such thing as “ugly”.
2. Take everything with a grain of salt.
3. There is nothing a good book and a hot cup of tea can’t fix.
4. Dogs are God’s gift to the earth.
5. Celebrate every accomplishment, no matter how small. After all it’s the little things that matter.
6. None of the material things you own really matter at the end of the day. Your value is not based on what you own or how much you have. It’s based on who you are as a person.
7. The goal in life is to be happy. So work every day towards your own happiness.
8. There always is enough time to do what you want. You just have to make the time.
9. Find the thing that warms your soul and work as hard as you can towards it. But never sell your soul or morals for the things you want.
10. It’s 100% okay to give yourself time off. In fact you should every once in a while. You don’t have to always be doing something.
11. There will be people who will not like you simply because you’re you. And that is perfectly okay. Don’t focus on them and keep on being the best version of you you can be.
12. Everyone is going through something so be as kind as you can. But that never excuses anyone from treating you badly.
13. Know your worth.
14. Spend as much time as you can outside. It soothes the soul.
15. You feed off the energy of the people around you. So surround yourself with people that inspire you and have similar goals in life.
16. Social media will always be there. Spend more time in the present when with others or by yourself.
17. The good times will pass. And the bad times will pass. So enjoy every moment and try not to worry about the bad. After all, as long as you have a beating heart it can’t get much better than that.
18. Don’t let someone elses success bring you down. Just because someone has something that you want doesn’t mean you’re any less of a person. Take your envy and turn it in to fuel to get what you want in life.
19. The best things in life are perfectly imperfect.
20. Try to be as honest and up front with people as you can. Time is limited, and beating around the bush helps no one. It may be scary but it will be better off in the long run.
21. All you have is now. So love your body, love your mind, and most of all love yourself.
And that is 21 things that I’ve learned in 21 years. I hope you enjoyed, and let me know the best piece of advice you’ve ever received, or the best thing you’ve learned in life so far!
I’m Kara Callahan, a 22 year old blogger with a camera in one hand and a book in the other. This is my lifestyle blog where I share life’s simple moments, tips + inspiration, slow living, blogging tips, travel photo diaries, book recommendations, and more with a few outfits in between. I hope you get some inspiration and happy reading!