Lifestyle + Fashion + Blogging Tips + Books

Cutting Down My Social Media Usage: How & Why I’m Doing it

As a blogger I spend quite a lot of time on social media, and for good reason. But besides that I love being able to connect with people from all over the world and see what they create. However, I came to the realization that on a daily basis I spend a bit too much of my time on social media. I just started doing this a few weeks ago, but I thought I would share with you why and how I’m cutting down my social media usage!

Why I’m Cutting Down My Social Media Usage

Although I’m not one of those people who believes social media is all bad, I definitely think spending too much time on it isn’t healthy. I started to realize the more I was on social media throughout the day, the more stressed I would be, and I would miss out on what was happening around me. Starting to cut down on my social media usage has allowed me to be more present in everyday life, be more productive with tasks and college, and reduce my stress. I find it’s all about finding that balance between still being present and enjoying everyday life, and going on social media.

How I’m Cutting Down My Social Media Usage

Not going on social media first thing in the morning

I use to first thing in the morning pick up my phone and immediately go on social media to see what I missed overnight. I started realizing that this would make me a bit more stressed in the mornings, and it would cause me to start my days later than I would like to. So instead, now I get ready and eat breakfast before even looking at Instagram. I will still occasionally look at Twitter for the news, but not first thing when I wake up.

Giving myself designated “times” to go on

When I started thinking about how much I was on social media, I realized that quite a bit of it was just endless scrolling to pass the time. I wasn’t going on for any purpose or reason. To stop this I’ve started giving myself designated “times” of the day for going on. It’s not so much exact times as points in my day, such as after breakfast, mid afternoon/an hour before posting, and in the evening.

Not feeling guilty for not being online

The overall reason I found I was consistently going on social media throughout the day, besides it being a habit, was because I felt guilty for not being online for more than a few hours. I always felt that every few hours I had to be online liking and commenting so I wouldn’t get too far behind. The truth is social media will always be there, whether you go on every hour or once a day. By getting rid of this guilt and keeping myself busy, I’ve actually enjoyed going on Instagram and Twitter more.

And that is a look at how and why I’m cutting down on using social media! It’s important to remember that since social media will always be there, be more present in what is happening around you. Once that moment is gone, it’s gone forever.

I’d love to know your thoughts on social media! How do you balance social media and everyday life? Do you find you spend too much time on it, or the right amount?

Share:

14 responses to “Cutting Down My Social Media Usage: How & Why I’m Doing it”

1. Velvet Blush says:

I definitely don’t balance it well, there’ll be times when I’ll check it regularly and other times when months go past and I don’t check it at all. I definitely need to figure out a routine though, but it is really hard because you do feel like you get behind if you don’t try to catch up, but on the other hand there’s just so much content to catch up on xx

Velvet Blush

I find it’s hard too with not wanting to be on it all the time but then having so much content you have to catch up on. I just try to tell myself that if I miss some posts it won’t be the end of the world, although that’s easier said than done x

2. I took a step back a while ago and don’t regret it one bit. It was really stressful at the time, especially with FOMO and everyones travels, it was depressing. I’m having a hard time moving back into it which is a good and bad thing. Good because I’m no longer having anxiety over FOMO but bad because it’s increasingly stressful trying to produce content, even just with one image for an entire week. I can’t seem to find my voice anymore, that and a “theme” which I’m content with.

Sxx
    daringcoco.com

I agree that FOMO is a big fear when stepping away from using social media. And it is stressful to try to produce content. I try to get a few days worth of photos done in advance so on those days where I’m not sure what you post I’ll use one of those. I hope you start to enjoy posting more and have a great weekend! x

3. I absolutely love this idea and I completely agree with you about social media being detrimental to health. I’ll definitely be taking some of your tips!

Heather xoxo

4. Sandra says:

I do spend an unhealthy time on social media and I think its time I started cutting down on it. I will try and start with the points you noted. But I might end up failing miserably. 😀

5. Areeba says:

This was soooo relatable girl! I totally understand this! And you’re right, we should allot particular “times” for social medias! It’s definitely not necessary to be online every time! Thanks sooo much for sharing this post!
    Much love❤️❤️
    Areeba

6. Kim says:

Excellent points – I agree that social media is great because you have the opportunity to connect with so many people regardless of where they live, but it can be a little toxic sometimes, especially when you don’t have the right mindset going in. The way I’ve been balancing social media lately is to assign myself a certain timeframe to go on. It stops me from checking in at random points throughout the day. Soon, I would love to remove it from my morning routine!

7. Keri says:

Omg seriously. I have such a love/hate relationship with social media. Lately, I’ve been posting a lot less and it’s kind of refreshing! I really cannot blue you for wanting to cut some of it out

Enclothed Cognition