LIFESTYLE + FASHION + BLOGGING TIPS

Saving Money & Buying Less in A Social Media World

Social media is actually one of the best places to go “shopping”. You can get people’s personal opinions on clothing, beauty, tech, and more, see the items in action, and get more of a real life look at them. But social media can also make saving money and buying less harder. When you are constantly seeing new items that you like, it’s very easy to forget about your no spend month (this has happened to me more times than I’d like to admit). So I’m going to share a few things to keep in mind when scrolling through social media that will help you buy less and save more!

You don’t need to buy to create content

I’m sure a lot of you reading this have a blog or an Instagram account, and you create content to post online. It can be very easy as a content creator to be tempted to buy something, whether it’s a clothing piece or beauty item, just so we have something to post about. Now it’s 100% okay to buy things with your blog and Instagram in mind! In fact, I do this all the time where when I’m purchasing clothing I think about how it will photograph.

But you should never buy something you don’t love, or can’t afford, just to create content. There’s no worse feeling seeing something you spent your hard earned money on and not loving it.

It’s all about perspective

Put things into perspective. You don’t know someone’s financial situation. They could have worked many jobs to buy that designer bag or maybe they are in debt. Chances are you will never know, which is why you shouldn’t buy something just because you feel like you have to. It’s of course okay to treat yourself and buy what you can afford, but don’t ever feel like you have to buy something to stay up to date with “trends”.

Leave an item for a few days

If you found an item while scrolling that you really love and want to buy, I would suggest not buying it for at least 24 hours. This way you don’t make any impulse purchases and if you are still in love with it after a day or two, then go ahead and buy it!

Wait For A Sale

Now not all items go on sale, but quite a lot of popular stores do put items on sale or have a sale. If it’s close to a holiday that they often give a discount code for, or if you are okay with maybe not getting the item, wait to see if it goes on sale. There have been many times where an item I’ve been looking at finally goes on sale, and there is no better feeling then getting a good deal!

And those are my tips for buying less and saving more while on social media! I hope these tips help, and let me know if you have had any shopping impulses because of social media.

Share:

10 responses to “Saving Money & Buying Less in A Social Media World”

1. Meisha says:

I love this post. Lately, I’ve been thinking so much about how I’m going to sustain new content while my blog isn’t profitable. Thanks for the tips!

2. Amita Kundlani says:

Oh I love your outfit hun! It’s so hard to not go shopping, especially since I always see something I like. But these are great tips! I love recycling old clothes, and you can always mix and match something new, you never know what you can find in your closet 🙂 x

amerzwithlove.com

Thank you, Amita! I definitely agree that it can be hard not to go shopping sometimes (and by sometimes I mean almost always haha). But sometimes shopping in your own closet is just as good x

3. E. says:

I totally agree with you Kara, nowadays social media turns into a masive shopping “need”. A few weeks ago, I tell a good friend that loves fashion and has an amazing style to do a public IG account and a blog and do you know what she answered me? “I would need to buy a lot of clothes and I haven’t got enough money” That is the feeling of most people and it is wrong. I think it is more talented to make a lot of beautiful look with less clothes/money that to have tons and tons of clothes you are going to wear just once.

Kisses,
    E.

I 100% agree that it is more talented to make a lot of amazing outfits with less clothes! It honestly is more interesting too because most people don’t or can’t constantly buy new items.

4. Rae says:

great advice! i also do that. i leave items for a few days to control myself. if i really, really want it and if i need it, i’ll buy it, if the item is still available. haha. anyway, great dress! looks good on you 🙂

xoxo, rae

5. Stacey says:

I love this advice and I really needed to read it! I always see feeds that have so many new products and outfits and I feel like I’m always putting things on repeat so there have been times when I broke my monthly budget just to have some new content. It’s even worse when it’s something you barely use and that’s when you really feel like you’ve wasted your money – it’s a terrible feeling! I actually love this post and am getting inspiration from it so I think I might so a blog post on something like this! Btw, you’re so stunning in this dress! I love that it’s off the shoulder too!

I’m so glad the post could help, and you should definitely do a post on this soon! It is a terrible feeling every time you look at an item you bought just for creating content and know you don’t use it. I find that the content creators I love the most do repeat items every once and a while, and it makes me relate to them more! x