Lifestyle + Fashion + Blogging Tips + Positivity

How I Edit My Instagram & Blog Photos

I probably sound like a broken record, but Instagram is one of my favorite social media platforms because of my love for photography. Not only does it help inspire me, but I love seeing other peoples editing styles. It’s been quite a while since my last how I edit photos post, and a few things have changed. So if you’ve ever been curious about how I edit my Instagram or blog photos, then this is the post for you!

INSTAGRAM PHOTOS

Almost all of my photos for Instagram are taken with the DSLR camera that I use for blogging, which you can read all about the equipment I use here!

To edit my Instagram photos, I use Adobe Lightroom. I used to always use the VSCO app, but about a year ago I made the switch to Lightroom and I’m so happy I did. The possibilities for editing photos are endless, and after a little bit of practice, it’s a fairly easy software to use. VSCO has Lightroom presets that match the filters on their mobile app, which is what made me switch over.

The series of presets/filters I always use on my Instagram photos is the F series. This gives a nice desaturated, film-like fade to photos that I personally love. Although I will see which out of the three presets in the F series (F1, F2, F3) looks best on each photo, the one I almost always use is F2. This gives a more blue, cooler tone to a photo, while F1 has a warmer pink tone and F3 has a more neutral tone.

Before

VSCO F1

Before

VSCO F2

Before

VSCO F3

Since these filters desaturate photos, I always turn up the saturation on each photo to between 10-15 since I love pops of color. Then depending on each photo, I’ll play around with the exposure and my photo is edited! If I do take a photo with my phone and not my camera, I’ll use the VSCO app and do the same process.

BLOG PHOTOS

For my blog photos, I use the same presets on Lightroom, except depending on the photo I’ll sometimes use the half strength filter. This just makes the photo look a little less edited since photos look different depending on what device they’re being viewed on. I also tend to brighten my blog photos a bit more than my Instagram photos.

All of the photos in this post were edited with the F2 filter, with a saturation of 10.

And that is how I edit my Instagram and blog photos! It took me a while to find a look that I really like, so keep that in mind when you’re trying to find an editing style. You also don’t have to have the best and fanciest equipment. Almost all of my photos when I first started blogging were editing using the VSCO app. Just play around with different styles and filters until you find the right look for you!

I hope you found this post interesting, and I’d love to know what you use to edit your photos! Also, you can find me on Instagram here!

Share:

54 responses to “How I Edit My Instagram & Blog Photos”

1. I love your photos as always! 😘And I love these kinds of posts! I love seeing what other people use to edit their IG and blog photos! Because it doesn’t just come naturally, we have to tweak the lighting and some few other things to get the results we want! You look great beautiful! 😊

Carina

Aw thank you so much Carina! I love seeing how others edit their photos too for the same reason. It’s always interesting to know how they came up with their photo style!

2. Lisa Autumn says:

Oh your editing looks beautiful girl!

x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

3. Soph says:

I’m so nosy and love seeing how other people edit their photos! I use Lightroom too and also find the Instagram editing tools pretty good for quick jobs!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com/ x

I haven’t used the Instagram editing tools much but I’ll have to keep that in mind!

4. Chloe says:

I love seeing how people edit photos! I made the switch to lightroom from VSCO too this year, so glad I did! These photos look great xx

Chloe x

5. I have just started using Lightroom hun and I am loving it! Tank you for sharing how you edit your pictures.

6. Grace Louise says:

This is such a good post Hun! Gorgeous pictures x

Grace Louise || http://www.gracelouiseofficial.blogspot.com/

7. Great editing style girl 🙂
    We used to use the vsco app but lightroom and photoshop got our hearts! We even use our own presets now 😀

With love and light ☀

Patricia & Miguel

Your photos look great! Thanks for sharing your process. I got Lightroom about 6 months ago and it has really improved my editting. I love all the features they have.

9. Thanks for sharing how you edit your photos! I need to try Lightroom.

It’s pretty easy to use and the wide variety of editing tools it has is really great!

10. Dominique says:

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing tips ad tricks editing tips hun xx

11. Mary says:

This was a lot of fun to read! I personally can never get enough of knowing how bloggers/instagramers edit their photos. I love your editing style. I’ve been using Lightoom for a few months now and didn’t know that VSCO has presets available for the program so I definitely need to check that out!

I’m so glad you liked it! I can never get enough of knowing how people edit their photos too. And thank you! You’ll love the VSCO presets. They have so many to choose from and are so easy to use.

Great post Kara! I love to see how people edit their photos since I am so new to all this! My daughter loves Lightroom and made the switch from VSCO to Lightroom this year. I am still experimenting with, both but love Lightroom, Your photos are always so good! xx

Thank you so much Janet! Both are great tools for editing and it’s just so fun to discover what look you like best x

13. I use Lightroom and VSCO as well! I tend to use Lightroom for DSLR photos and VSCO for iPhone photos. I go through different phases of which VSCO filter I tend to lean toward, but currently I’ve been using a lot of M5. I’ve also had an A6 phase! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

I always love the look of your photos, so thank you for sharing how you edit them! The M series is so beautiful and I feel like almost everyone at some point had an A6 phase because I definitely did haha x

Lightroom and VSCO are both so awesome! Photo editing is so fun – I love to see how differently everyone edits xx

15. Amy Arnold says:

I use lightroom too! It’s so great.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

16. Samantha says:

Love this post! So informative!
    ~Samantha

17. Katherine says:

I kept switching from VSCO to Lightroom and I didn’t know VSCO had presets on Lightroom…now I might switch again! Hahaha thanks for sharing this, girl!

18. Gemma says:

Your photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing this.

Gemma x

I do use Lightroom too, such a fantastic editing tool. Mainly I love how you can play with the lights, especially on cloudy days. The difference between your before and after editing is fabulous Kara!

Thank you Simone! Lightroom is great for fixing the lighting. There have been so many cloudy days that I’ve been able to take photos because I know I can fix it when editing.

Your photos look great and I love the side by side comparison! I only use instagram filter when I post on instagram, haha! I need to try new things I think!

I hope that you are having a good week so far! 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog

Thank you so much Mica! I haven’t used too many of the Instagram filters but I’ve heard that they’re really good. VSCO is great if you want to try something new. I hope you’re having a great week too! x

21. Gabrielle says:

I’m also a huge fan of Instagram for that very same reason; it’s such a fun way of being as creative as possible and the feedback process is another really fun element of it! I always love seeing how other people edit their photos, so thanks for sharing yours 🙂

aglassofice.com x

22. Mireia says:

I also use lightroom for photo edition. Bought a special filter cause I wanted one specifically, but I am very happy I did the switch too!
    -Mireia