Lifestyle + Fashion + Blogging Tips + Books

Easy Guide To Meditation + Why You Should Give It A Try

As a daughter of a yoga instructor, I’ve spent many years of my life hearing about meditation and its benefits. I remember trying it as a young teenager and not enjoying it at all. Many years later as an adult, I decided to give it a try and it’s one of the best things I’ve added to my routine. It has overall improved my mood and mindset, as well as calmed some of my anxiety. If you’re new to it and have no idea where to start or what to do, here is an easy guide to meditation + some tips to help!

WHY YOU SHOULD TRY MEDITATING

Your mind is going all the time when you’re awake. It can’t just be turned off or not used. Meditation helps with calming the mind and giving it a period of time to relax. It also helps with learning to be more in the present moment and to be at ease with life. It’s not about shutting off your thoughts, but focusing the mind and being in the moment.

WHERE TO START

Guided meditation is a huge help when starting out. There are youtube channels you can find for this, but I personally love using the Headspace app.

Headspace has a 10-day meditation basics pack for free that allows you to pick between 3, 5, or 10 minute sessions. The guy’s voice who does the guided meditation is lovely and really relaxing. Most parts of the app do require a subscription to access, although the free 10 sessions are really good for testing it out. The other meditation sessions they have range from meditation basics, health, students, happiness, work and performance, and so much more. They also have meditation singles for working out, travel, walking, mornings, bedtime, unwinding and many more.

Another thing that I love about Headspace is that it encourages you to not be hard on yourself when meditating. That it is okay to have the mind wander and that it will take time to get the hang of it.

You can also get from Headspace for free these little positive, mindful reminders that I absolutely love. They help remind you to be more in the moment and appreciate where you are. You can pick how many times a day you want to get them. I get them 3 times a day, and I love this so much that I usually screenshot them so I can look back at them. Here are a few of my favorite ones:

Once you’ve done some guided meditation you might find that doing it on your own is better for you. I would just suggest giving the free 10 days on Headspace a try to get an introduction to meditation!

SOME EXTRA TIPS

Find the best place and time for you personally to meditate. It may be first thing in the morning when you wake up, during your lunch break, or even in the evening. Finding the best time and place to do this will result in you meditating more often. For me, I like to meditate in the mornings before getting ready, and usually in a cozy spot in my room. When I have extra time I find meditating outside to be wonderful too.

There is no rule that says you have to meditate every day. Find a schedule that works for you, even if it’s just whenever you feel you need it.

It will take time to get in the habit of doing this, and it might not be for you.

There are other things that may be your “meditation”. It’s all about finding what calms your mind and puts you in the present moment. It may be exercising, going on long walks outside, etc. Meditation isn’t always just sitting still in one spot.

And that is my easy guide to meditation! I hope this helps and inspires you to give it a try. If you have tried meditating before I’d love to know what you thought of it!

Share:

44 responses to “Easy Guide To Meditation + Why You Should Give It A Try”

1. Beautiful post and photos. Your dog look so cute.
    Great tips for meditation. I started with meditation 3 years ago and today I can’t imagine my life without it. It really helps me to relax, clean mind and make a decision.

Blog – http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

Thank you so much! That’s wonderful that meditation has had such a positive impact on your life x

2. Soph says:

I’ve been wanting to try out meditation for a long time now but I didn’t really know where to start. Thanks for recommending Headspace, I’ll definitely be looking into that!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

3. I am a huge fan of mediation. I do prayer mediation everyday with an app called Abide.

I feel so calm after reading this Kara! I have never thought of mediation before so I will need to look into it now! I love positive quotes so much, they really help and get me thinking. Have a fabulous new week xx

I’m so glad! You’ll have to let me know if you give it a try and what you think of it. Have a great week too Janet! x

I’ve been meditating on and off for a few years using both guided meditation and on my own. It’s definitely very helpful when I can stick to it for a prolonged period of time.

I actually haven’t heard of the Headspace app so I’m curious to check that out. Thanks for sharing the wonderful post.

I’m glad you liked the post, Kathrin! That is great that you’ve been meditating for a few years now and that it has been helpful x

6. These photos are so cute, I love your dog

7. Mira says:

I love this post! 🙂

Mira Audrey’s

8. Samantha says:

Such a great guide! You’ve inspired me to try it out. Thanks!
    ~Samantha

9. Nina says:

Thanks for the trips, very helpful, and how adorable is your puppy? xx

Nina’s Style Blog

10. Mariann Yip says:

I love meditation, it is a great way to incorporate self care into your lifestyle! https://mariannyc.com

11. Gabrielle says:

I’ve heard about just how great Headspace is before, and now I’m kicking myself for not starting it sooner haha. I think we all could all definitely do with some meditation in our lives 🙂 Have a lovely week!

http://www.aglassofice.com x

This is so helpful- my boyfriend meditates and is always preaching its benefits! I want to try.

13. Kasie says:

I am trying to add meditation to my daily routine because man, oh man, do I ever need it! I downloaded Headspace but got through my trial and can’t justify the cost. I’m hoping to ask for it for Christmas though, so I can really get into the practice in 2019!

14. Priya says:

I love headspace even i use the same one

15. Valeria Chizhova says:

I’ve never tried it but I know I will. I really want to try but have no time

I hope you find time to try it! Even a few minutes a day really makes a big difference.

16. sepatuholig says:

Such a great tips, thank you for sharing… the picnis looks cozy!

17. Naya says:

This was actually really helpful! I struggled with meditation before mainly because my mind wound wander around way too much and I felt like I was not really focusing on the narrative itself. I do agree that meditation is a powerful tool that more people should use. Great guide here xx

Naya

I’m so glad this was helpful! I used to struggle with it too for the same reason but once I accepted that it’s okay for the mind to wander it became a bit easier. Thank you, Naya! x

18. Susie says:

That is so cool that one of your parents is a yoga teacher!! I totally agree this kind of thing takes time <3 Thanks for the tips lovely xx

findyourownhope.blogspot.com

19. Lorna says:

Thanks for sharing this! I find meditation so important too, it’s the best thing for the brain!

Raindrops of Sapphire

20. areeba says:

I’ve used that app! it is amazing! I would agree that I haven’t meditated since months! this post motivates me to go right away somewhere outside and start meditating! love your clicks Kara!!😍😍

21. Anastasia says:

I never took this whole meditation thing seriously until one day I decided to watch Madeleine Shaw’s meditation on Youtube and it really had a pleasant effect on me! Definitely something to invest more!
    Anastasia

22. Sandra Raju says:

I am a very fidgety person. So I get very agitated when I try to meditate. I gave up after a couple of tries.

It’s all about finding something that helps calm your mind, so maybe something like going for walks would be better for you.