Waking Up Early: Is It Worth It If You’re Not A Morning Person

10/10/2018

As much as I wish I was a morning person, I have always been someone who struggles with waking up really early. I’ve tried resetting my natural clock many times, and although I do wake up way earlier than I used to, I still wouldn’t consider it to be really early. I thought I would share my thoughts on if waking up early is worth it as a non-morning person, + some tips on finding the best sleep schedule for you!

Waking Up Early As A Non-Morning Person: My Personal Experience

As someone who is not naturally a morning person, I wanted to see if changing my natural clock would make a difference in my daily productivity levels. I tried waking up at 6:30 AM every day for a month to see if it would really make a difference. It was lovely to get up with the sun but I found, in the long run, it didn’t do too much for my productivity levels. I did have more time in the morning to relax, read, and get ready, which was great. But since I was still tired I ended up doing my best work at the same time as I did getting up later. My natural clock gets me up anywhere between 7:30 to 8:30, which I’ve realized that for me personally, this is perfectly fine.

My Thoughts + Tips

Here are some of the things I’ve come to the conclusion about having to be a “morning person”:

Outfit | Striped Tee: Gap | Denim Jacket: Target | Pants: ASOS | Tote Bag: Ikea | Oxfords: EuroSoft |

And those are my thoughts and tips of if waking up early as a non-morning person is worth it! Are you a morning person or a night owl?

54 responses to “Waking Up Early: Is It Worth It If You’re Not A Morning Person”

1. Layla says:

This is such a lovely post – on a personal level, I feel like it help me get much more work done for the day when I wake up early however there are days when I just want a little bit of extra sleep so I do what I feel it right for me.

I do think it’s worth it overall as it allows you to get things ready for the day ahead without being rushed or feeling stressed! 🙂

Hope you’re well and having a lovely week and can’t wait to see more!

Layla x

Thank you, Layla! That’s great and so important that you listen to your body and allow it to get the sleep it needs. You’re right that you definitely need enough time to get ready in the morning to not stress. I hope you’re having an amazing week! x

2. Itzel Najar says:

thanks for the tips!
    I´m not a morning person!

This is so my daughter too! She feels exactly the same way, if she wakes up early she gets too tired during the day. I generally get up around 6:30 am but on the weekends I have a sleep in until 8:30 am to 9 am. I think you are doing the right thing for your body, and mental health is so important, if things are still getting done what difference does it matter what that time is. Love your outfit Kara! xx

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels this way! That’s great that you get up so early on weekdays but let yourself sleep in on the weekends. And exactly! I’ve been reminding myself that as long as everything gets done it doesn’t matter when I got up. Thank you so much, Janet!

4. It’s definitely worth it for me because I am much more productive when I get up early. I also pretty much have to if I want to workout that day before work because I don’t like working out after work, I am exhausted. I am usually up at or between 5 AM- 5:20 on M-F. If one is not a morning person it does take some getting used to.
    FASHION TALES

Knowing when you work best is really important, so that’s great that you’ve found a schedule that works best for you! x

I’m definitely a night owl and no matter how many times I’ve tried to reset my schedule, it has never really worked. I just end up getting out of bed completely exhausted and am unproductive like you said.

It’s great that you found your best schedule though. Hope you have a great week.

It’s really hard to reset your schedule, but it’s good that you know that getting up earlier doesn’t work for you. Sleeping later and being productive is much better than getting up early and being unproductive. I hope you’re having a great week! x

6. I’m a night owl – my body clock wakes up at 10am haha.

Natalie

7. I am a morning person and get so much done but I realize it is hard for some. Love this chic jacket and I adore the tote!

8. Lorna says:

I struggle with mornings too, I’m naturally a night owl so it’s not something I can change to, no matter how hard I try, I always revert back!

Raindrops of Sapphire

I love that you did this little experiment! I agree – waking up extra early sometimes isn’t as helpful. And you end up sleepier! I have to wake up super early for work, so I have no choice 😉 But if I did – it would be 7:30/8 too xx

I figured the best way to test it was to do it myself! Part of me wishes I had to wake up early for work so I would be forced to be more a morning person haha x

Great casual outfit – I love your bag and the striped tee! 🙂

Good tips too – I’m a morning person so I like to get up a little earlier than the boys and have some rare time to myself, but I’m also aware sometimes I just need to prioritise sleep and just turn my alarm off and stay in bed haha, it’s so true we need to listen to our bodies and do the right thing for us 🙂

Hope that you are having a wonderful week so far 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog

Thank you so much, Mica! That’s great that you have time to yourself before your boys wake up. I have a feeling that when I have kids I’ll do the same. I hope you have a wonderful week! x

I am not a morning person, but I have noticed that my natural clock has shifted earlier as I’ve gotten older- I used to be able to sleep until 1 or 2 (the horror!) on the weekends, but now I naturally get up by 9.

That’s great that your natural clock has shifted! I used to be able to sleep until 11/12 so hopefully, it’ll keep getting earlier the older I get x

12. Grace Louise says:

Gorgeous post Hun – whenever I wake up early I always feel so much more productive during the day ahead!! x

Grace Louise || http://www.gracelouiseofficial.blogspot.co.uk

13. Kasie says:

This is such an interesting post. I used to be a total morning person and, as I have gotten older, that seems to be changing. It’s really good to know that waking up early didn’t miraculously change your productivity levels. It makes me feel better about my desire to sleep in!

I’m glad you found the post interesting! Sleep schedules and our natural clocks do seem to change over time. All that matters though is that you get enough sleep, so sleep in all you want!! x

I’m a total morning person I have to say, luckily I do not need to sleep in very long in the morning. That way the mornings give me enough time to run errands and spend the afternoon with my kids. Very lovely tips Kara!

That’s great that you’re a morning person and have a schedule that works best for you! Thank you so much, Simone! x

15. chippeido says:

OMG you have a beautiful gallery !! 😍😍

regards,

I’m so not a morning person, but I’ve been getting up early (we all have) because my daughter started preschool, and i think it’s okay! Just have to make sure I go to bed on time, which is definitely easier said than done some days!

That’s good that getting up early is going well for you! I think it’s definitely easier to get up early when you have someplace you need to be x

I’m far away from being a morning person. I wake up at 11 LOL!
    But sometimes when I have to get up early, I like that I have so much time to relax and get things done.

Having lots of time to relax and get things done when waking up early definitely helps! x

18. Navia says:

Thank you for the great tips! I will try to apply this in my daily life 😀

19. Kinga K says:

I always do it,pretty pics ❤

20. What a beautiful outfit and photos, you look amazing
    Bisous

21. I am totally not a morning person and I can only get up early if I am forced too

22. I used to be a morning person, after kids not so much although I still get woken up by my son at 5.00am as he is a morning person. You get so much done I just wish I wasn’t too tired. Loving your ensemble by the way!

Thank you, Lovely! 5 AM is really early, but it’s easier to wake up when you have something you need to do.

23. You look really nice in this outfit! The photos are amazing! http://www.recklessdiary.ru

24. I have been a morning person all my life and it comes very easy to me as I’m most productive in the morning.
    ❤︎

25. Susie says:

I am definitely more of an evening person than a morning one hahah! I really appreciate this post!! Thank you 🙂

findyourownhope.blogspot.com

26. areeba says:

thanks for sharing these tips babe! I’m not at all a morning person! always struggling to get up early ! reading your post makes me realise that its not too bad if I wake up at 8/9 a.m.