My Favorite Affordable Red Lip Products

11/04/2018

Although I don’t wear lipstick all the time, my favorite has always been a red lip. Somehow it makes any look instantly more put together. I also love how it can boost my confidence and make me feel ready for what ever is ahead. So since I love a good red lip, I’ve tried way too many over the years I have worn makeup. Here is a list of my favorite red lip products, all of which are cruelty-free and affordable! Also, apologies in advance for the number of times you’re about to see my face.

Favorite Red Lip Products Guide

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Monte Carlo

ELF Matte Lip Color in Cranberry

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo

NYX is probably one of the first brand’s lip products I fell in love with. Their soft matte lip creams are amazing in general. They are really easy to apply, don’t leave your lips feeling too dry, and they stay on pretty well. This one in Monte Carlo is a more cool tone red, and I love how you can put on a thin layer or build it up for a more dramatic look.

ELF Matte Lip Color in Cranberry

Now I was always a bit wary of trying ELF’s lip products since they are only $3. But their matte lip colors are better than most higher end lip products I’ve tried. They stay on surprisingly really well throughout the day, and with them being thinner (almost like a lip liner shape), it makes it really easy to apply. Cranberry is a more muted, neutral to almost slightly warm toned red.

Burt’s Bees Matte Lip Crayon in Napa Vineyard

Burt’s Bees Matte Lip Crayon in Redwood Forest

Burts Bee’s Matte Lip Crayon in Napa Vineyard

These Burt’s Bees matte lip crayons are recent additions to my makeup collection, but I love them so much that I bought both red shades. They apply like a lip balm and then eventually dry to be more matte. They don’t stay on as long as some of the others, but they’re really easy to reapply so to me it’s worth it. Napa Vineyard is a bolder, darker cool tone red.

Burt’s Bees Matte Lip Crayon in Redwood Forest

This one I tend to wear more than Napa Vineyard because Redwood Forest is more of a muted, warm-toned red. It has almost like a muted rust/orangey tinted undertone to it which I personally love.

NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Kitten Heels

ELF Matte Lip Color in Rich Red

NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Kitten Heels

NYX Liquid Suede lipstick is a more matte, slightly drier formula than the lip cream. I still never feel like my lips are too dry, but a simple trick I like to use is just applying lip balm on top. Kitten Heel is a bright orangey red that definitely stands out.

ELF Matte Lip Color in Rich Red

Rich red is a pretty similar color to the NYX Monte Carlo shade. It’s a cool-toned red that is really easy to apply. If you’re new to red lips I highly recommend trying one of these ELF matte lip colors.

ELF Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star

This is a red lip that I love wearing on days where I don’t want the commitment of red lips but still want some color. The ELF jumbo gloss stick is pretty much a tinted lip balm. It feels like a dream to reapply and it eventually fades over time.

And those are my favorite red lip products! I hope you found some new ones to try, and I’d love to know what your favorite lip color to wear is!

49 responses to “My Favorite Affordable Red Lip Products”

1. Minhal Taher says:

Red Lips are so classic and definitely my favourite too. Colourpop has some very affordable and good red lipsticks too! I need to try that Elf Lipstick it looks so good.

2. Eni Abeni says:

I don’t know these lips….thanks for sharing, my dear, and for your exhaustive review!!!
    I’m Eni, blogger from Italy. If you want take a look on my latest post, now on my blog Eniwhere Fashion ! I would be really happy….
    Have a nice day, kisses,
    Eni

Latest post : 23 Shoes

3. Layla says:

This is such a lovely post and red lip colours are one of the best ways to create a look without much effort – especially if you’re not in the mood to wear much makeup!

Hope you’re well and look forward to more posts!

Layla x

Thank you, Layla! That is one of the main reasons why I love red lips. I hope you’re well too and that you have a great week! x

Ohh yes to red lipsticks! That’s one of my favorite ways to give color to my looks in the fall/winter.
    Beautiful!

You really suit a red lip Kara, It looks so good on you! I love NYX for lipsticks but I never thought of elf, I will need to have a look, although we only get a limited supply of elf cosmetics here in Australia. I love the crayon design of Burt’s Bees. Your sweater is so gorgeous! Have a wonderful new week lovely! xx

Aw thank you, Janet! I had no idea you only get a limited supply of ELf in Australia, but I hope you can find it there. Have a wonderful week too! x

6. I love a good red lipstick, I will have to check these out

It’s wonderful that red lip colors are something you enjoy and that they boost your confidence. It’s always great to find something that always works. It suits you beautifully.

8. Loving these red lipsticks Kara, I find a red lip instantly amps up a look!

A red lip is so hard to perfect, but you have done a wonderful job! I love elf’s matte lip products – so good. Love your brows too, beautiful!

10. Gemma says:

These all look really lovely! Have a great week.

Gemma x

11. Beautiful pictures and that green sweater looks really pretty on you!

12. These are cute lip stick.. mac is not so affordable in a way but the ruby is nice also.
    This is a very nice post.
    new post

13. Valeria Chizhova says:

Mix of green and red reminds me of Christmas time!

14. Vanessa says:

I love a red lipstick and these seem great! If I can find one thats super affordable, that’s another plus! Thanks for sharing!
    XOXO,
    Vanessa

15. Kasie says:

This post is so helpful, Kara! I am on the search for THE red lipstick…you know, the one that somehow makes me look sophisticated, tanned, and totally pulled together. It seemed like an impossible feat but this post is giving me so many new shade ideas!

I’m so glad it was helpful! Finding THE red lipstick is hard but it will be worth it once you find it x

You are right a red lip really does pull a look together. I don’t wear it a lot as my teeth are not as white as I would like them to be and a bright red lip can make your teeth look dull if they are not super white. But I am wearing white stripes as I type this so there could be a red lip in my future!

I actually find that red lips make my teeth look whiter but I see what you mean. I hope there’s a red lip in your future! x

17. Naya says:

Love how you styled this post! All shades look nice on you. I like a red too! xx

Naya

18. Gabrielle says:

This is such a brilliant and thorough guide to the most affordable red shades! I don’t wear red lip shades very often and tend to veer more towards nudes, though I’ll be reaching for red no doubt once the festive season gets underway! 🙂

aglassofice.com x

19. Red lipstick looks so good on you! I love the classic look! The NYX gloss is great!

xo, Jennifer

20. Amazing selections Kara! I love the Burt’s and Bees on you! I love the NYX Soft Matte lip creams! 🙂

Carina

21. Looks great! I love photos too!

Mira Audrey’s

Your lips are sooo lovely dear! These are awesome picks, thanks for sharing!