Things I’m Giving Up & Stopping For The Rest Of The Year

11/18/2018

I wrote a post about a month ago on the things that I’m trying and changing for the rest of the year, and it’s been going really good so far. It got me thinking of the things that I currently do that don’t serve me well. And to be honest, even though it will be hard to stop some of them, I’m not sure why I still do them. Life is short and there is no point in spending time doing things that don’t benefit me or my life. So I thought I would share the things I’ll stop doing for the rest of the year, and hopefully for longer than that!

PROCRASTINATING

I know this one is going to be the hardest out of all of them because I’ve been doing it the longest. But over the years I’ve gotten better at it and I know I can improve with some hard work and dedication. I tend to put things off sometimes because I don’t want to do them. But sometimes I put it off because I like the thrill and anticipation that comes before doing something. I have no idea why I do this, but my plan is to adopt the 5-minute rule (I think that’s what it’s called). This is when you dedicate 5 minutes to starting something since that is always the hardest part. And often you’ll find that what you’re putting off isn’t that bad. My overall goal is to just do things when they need to be done and not wait to do it later.

NOT GIVING TIME FOR THINGS I LOVE

Now, don’t get me wrong, throughout my days I do plenty of things that I love. But I tend to not make as much time anymore for the smaller things that aren’t the most “productive” like sewing or even sometimes reading. I think it’s because these past 2 months have been pretty busy but for the rest of the year, I want to give myself around 1-hour 2-3 times a week to just do something because I want to. Getting into the mindset that doing something I love that isn’t the most “productive” is okay has been hard, but I want to continue by dedicating time to it. Because if something brings you joy than it is not a waste of time.

WORRYING TOO MUCH

The older I get the more I tend to worry, which I think is normal especially when in your 20’s. I’ve gotten better at this recently but I want to continue reminding myself that worrying doesn’t do me any good. Everything will work out in the end and I can only control or plan so much. The beauty of life is the unknown journey and worrying is not coming along for the ride much longer.

Wearing: Sweater: A New Day (Target) | Red Beanie: Gap | Pants: ASOS

Now, this is a challenging list and chances are I won’t 100% stop doing all of these things. But it’s the trying that counts and any progress is better than none. So I’d love to know what one thing you want to stop doing or give up for the rest of the year! It’s never too late to break a habit or do something different.

22 responses to “Things I’m Giving Up & Stopping For The Rest Of The Year”

1. Bronwen says:

I love this post! It’s so honest and relatable. Thanks for the read Gal 😍

2. Mariann Yip says:

I loved this post because I think it’s a great idea to always self reflect and see what parts you can improve on! I am trying my best to not procrastinate either and even though the year is almost over, we can still do so much more before 2018 ends!

3. Patricia says:

I definitely worry too much, especially as my kids get older. The thing I wish I could stop is stress…

4. Babita says:

What a lovely post girl! I would sure try not to worry much as I do it so much and I shouldn’t do that much and take care of myself! What a lovely post Kara! 😊

Xoxo Babita

I’m also going to join you in stopping to worry because it really doesn’t do us any good!

6. shaira says:

I hate procrastinating and worrying too much. Well, I think, these are also the two things I want to stop doing. It makes everything stressful! Haha. This is a good read! I enjoyed it 🙂

xoxo,
    SHAIRA

7. I love your list and your cozy chic look! Doing what you enjoy makes life so satisfying. That hat is adorable on you!

You look gorgeous in these photos! Red is your color, Kara. I am also trying to let myself just do things I like – even if I think it’s not ‘productive.’ It’s so hard to turn off the go-go-go mentality, isn’t it? Good luck with this, love, I know you’ll do great!

9. Samantha says:

Love this post! Also cute hat!
    ~Samantha

10. Nina says:

I’m trying to worry less, as I get older, and it feels amazing. Loved this cozy outfit on you, this sweater looks perfect on you. Happy Monday dear. xx

Nina’s Style Blog

11. Anastasia says:

I used to worry so much about stupid things when I was younger-I remember my Mum telling me the more I’ll grow up the more I won’t care about such things and she was so right!
    Thanks for sharing!
    xx
    Anastasia

12. Yes you are so right! These things you mentioned do not help anyone at all! I am especially a worrier. I need to STOP. Thanks for the inspiration!

Carina

Good luck with these Kara. Worrying is really not good but it is so hard not to do too! Definitely make time for the things you love to do, life is too short!
    Your beanie is so cute I love the pop of colour it gives to your outfit!

14. Naya says:

Wonderful post here! As someone in my 20s too, I must say I worry all the time about literally everything. I am trying to work on this and find that mindful meditations help a lot. It is important to just let go and allow things to run their own course xx

Naya

This is such a great read dear, and I agree on everything you said, especially on embracing the unknown and worrying much much less. And yes, we should definitely spend more time on things that we love most. It’s healthy for both mind and body.

16. Corina says:

I`m with you to stop worrying, Such a lovely post and you looks so cute in the very first photo.
    xo Corina

17. Jenifer says:

wonderful and really insightful post! I agree that we should all stop worrying, not good for the soul!
    xx Jenifer

Other than procrastinating, which I beat a few years ago, I’m actually trying to work on everything you mentioned. I’ve made some progress, but there’s quite a way to go. Good luck with everything you’re trying to stop.

Also, I just love your photos. The outfit is so cute with the red hat being a great statement piece and the location is stunning.

19. Kinga K says:

Very well done 🙂

20. Yes, agreed and I do this too … if something doesn’t serve me I delete it from my life. The older that I have gotten with each year, I’ve learnt more to worry less, it makes such a happier life. What a wonderful list, I wish you all the best with implementing these in your life. /Madison
    FASHION TALES

21. Lorna says:

Worrying too much is always a tough one! It’s so hard sometimes, but well done for trying to give it up!
    Raindrops of Sapphire

22. Such an awesome post Kara and totally agree on worrying less! Love your hat you look super cute!!!