Minimal Christmas Decor Ideas

12/02/2018

In my family, we (mainly my mom and I) go all out decorating the downstairs of our house for Christmas. From the street, you would probably think we like Christmas just a little bit, but once you step inside you can tell it is our favorite holiday. Now, I won’t be sharing any photos of that on here (unless that is something you would want to see in the future), but because of this, I like to keep my own Christmas decorations in my space pretty minimal. Decorating for Christmas doesn’t have to be over the top, so I decided I would share with you a look at my space + some minimal Christmas decoration ideas!

A lot of my decorations were in the Target 1-5 dollar section, and everything else was under $20, except for the blankets since they aren’t just for Christmas.

Garland / Banner

My favorite thing in my space is this very merry garland I got from Target a few years ago. Festive garland is such an easy way to add some Christmas cheer to your space and it’s so easy to hang up. You could even make your own if you want, but most of them tend to be under $10 at Target.

Pillows and Throws

This is a great way to decorate your space because they don’t have to be very Christmasy, which means you get more use out of them. You can get pillows and throws that are in festive colors or prints, such as green, red, and plaid, and then you can use them for the rest of winter. I have two throws, one red and green plaid and a knit red one, and once I add the rest of my decorations they feel very festive. But for the rest of fall and winter, they just make my space feel cozy.

You can also add a few Christmas pillows to your space. The two I have were both either $3 or $5 from Target, and it’s the perfect holiday touch to the rest of the pillows.

Wreath

This is a new addition to my holiday decor, but a mini wreath is a simple decoration that you can hang on the wall. I got a mini from, no surprise, Target, but it’s made out of paper so hopefully it will last longer. You could also make your own if you want to put your own personal touch on it.

Christmas Plants / Tree

It’s understandable if you don’t have space for a big tree, but some cute Christmas plants or a mini tree are great alternatives. This mini snow frosted tree was only $3 from Target and it sits perfectly on my coffee table. There are plenty of snow-frosted fake plants around this time of year, so pick up a few mini ones and put them around your space! Eucalyptus is also a good choice if you want something a bit more simple but still beautiful.

String Lights

Buy some inexpensive string lights and hang them around your space. Then, once it gets dark out, turn them on every night to give a beautiful mood to your space before going to bed.

Candles & Other Little Items

Just having candles burning can give a space a cozy, festive winter feeling. My favorite ones are from Bath & Body Works (the winter scent one is amazing) but even some inexpensive scentless ones are perfect too. You can also add a few little items like Christmas signs, deer figurines, and anything else that catches your eye.

Remember: just have fun with it! There is no right or wrong way to decorate for Christmas. All that matters is if it makes you happy and puts you in the holiday spirit. I hope this gave you some ideas, and I’d love to know what you do to decorate for this time of year!

Also, click here for the best 2 hours of Christmas music on Youtube that is perfect to play when decorating!

16 responses to “Minimal Christmas Decor Ideas”

I love candles year round, but it’s always fun to get a Christmas themed scented candle for December! 🙂 Your room looks lovely, what a cute way to make it look festive and on a budget too! 🙂

Hope that you’ve had a great weekend! The heatwave was really intense this weekend so we had some quiet time at home – we put our Christmas tree up which was nice 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog

Your Christmas decorating is so cute and festive! I love the little Christmas tree! You certainly found some bargain prices for Christmas decorations! It’s so much fun decorating the house for Christmas! xx

Minimal but still so pretty and most importantly festive. I love it and who doesn’t love Target, right?!

I love how simple, yet gorgeous your decorations are! Wreaths are so underrated – I truly love them. So adorable about you and your mom going all out! Photos, plz 🙂

5. Love all your xmas dear! I adore all those pillows on your bed.

6. Samantha says:

So many great ideas! Love all the photos.
    ~Samantha

7. Vanessa says:

Love your minimal xmas decor! Very chic!
    Happy Monday, babe!
    xoxo, Vanessa

I love this minimalist approach to Christmas decorating as well as your over all minimalist approach to the decorating of your space, so homey and peaceful.

9. Kasie says:

I adore your decor, Kara! Minimal decor is right up my alley so I am loving every single holiday addition you’ve made to your home. So chic! You have to love Target’s dollar section!

I love it, it’s actually pretty charming! Can’t go wrong with Christmas candles.

Your space looks beautiful! I love all the little touches that come together to create a cohesive, but minimal decor style.

Thanks for the great ideas. My husband and I actually have LED Christmas lights hanging around the living room all year just because we like the look. I love the idea of adding some garlands and festive pillows.

12. Gemma says:

This looks so lovely! Thanks for the inspo.

Gemma x

13. E. says:

You always have the best deco ideas! Such an inspiration.
    Kisses,
    E.

14. Loving the decor and great ideas Kara!

Xoxo

15. Your decor is so cute, I love the pillows

16. Sonia Aicha says:

perfect cozy decor ! love the pillows,
    Sonia