What I’ve Learned This Month

12/30/2018

To (almost) ring in the new year, I decided I would do a new kind of post on my blog. One of my favorite posts to write each year is the ‘# things I’ve learned in # year’ which only comes every October. So I decided I would do a what I’ve learned this month post, filled with all the little and big things I’ve learned to hopefully give you some advice! And it wouldn’t be complete without an outfit too.

WHAT I’VE LEARNED IN DECEMBER

It’s okay not to feel the same way that everyone else does.

There really is nothing better than seeing someone you love face light up in pure happiness.

Every Christmas decoration has sparkles, and it is impossible to get them off of everything. I still find a few pieces in my hair from time to time.

Grief and lose are a really odd and hard thing to go through. Last year on Christmas Eve I lost my grandma, and it has made this Christmas time a little bit of an odd one. It’s my favorite time of year and it was her’s too, so it was nice to celebrate both her and it at the same time. But there is no recipe for getting over losing a loved one. It gets better with time, but there will always be moments where you just stop and think “oh yeah, they’re not here anymore.”  But I’ve found that celebrating them and being grateful for the time you did have with them is the best choice.

Time really is the most precious thing in life, and it’s a bit scary how quickly it’s flying by.

It is very important to change your sheets every week. No matter how annoying it may be to do it, there just isn’t anything like sleeping on clean sheets before the start of a new week.

Only you can determine what is right for you.

There is never such a thing as having too many mugs. Treat yourself to a new one.

Time off is a good thing and is needed. Getting over the guilty feeling of taking time off is hard.

As cliche as it is, Christmas really is all about who you spend it with, not about what you get.

No matter how bad or good you are at art, just do it. It’s good for your mind and it’s the perfect form of meditation.

There is so much stuff that we keep that we don’t actually need. Deep cleans are good and necessary. Unless it’s a really important document or item, if you haven’t looked or used something in 6 months, get rid of it.

The new year is the perfect time to see where you can make improvements. Look back and focus on the all the good that happened to you and all that you accomplished, but leave the past in the past. Then make more plans for 2019.

Be you, not them.

Zara cardigan (similar) | Zara Mom Jeans | Uniqlo Turtleneck (similar)

And that is a bit of what I learned this past month! This may become a monthly series on my blog, although I’m still deciding if I should mix it with my monthly round-up posts or do this instead of that. Let me know which one you’d prefer!

I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday time, and if you haven’t that’s okay too. Take care of yourself and I wish you all a wonderful 2019!

36 responses to “What I’ve Learned This Month”

1. Joling says:

You are amazing! Love your articles!
    Wish you happy new year 2019!

xo, Joling

This is such a wonderful post. It looks like you learned a lot of valuable lessons this month.

I completely agree that Christmas (and the holidays) are about the people you’re with, not the gifts you may or may not be getting.

I’m so sorry for your loss and it’s wonderful that you are able to celebrate your grandma’s life during the time that was special to her. Grief and loss really are the hardest things in life.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year and 2019.

Thank you so much, Kathrin! It was definitely a month of learning and growing. I hope you have a wonderful 2019 and I wish you all the best! xx

3. Carina says:

So true love! December brings so many lessons to us thanks for sharing your insights! So sorry for your grandma! I hope 2019 brings you goodness and happiness all year round!

Carina

Love this new series! I’m so sorry to hear about your grandma – loss is hard and in my experience, time is the only thing that helps. Getting over the guilt that comes from taking time off is difficult too. You just have to trust that someday when you look back, you won’t be concerned about the time you spent ‘not working’ – you’ll think of it as the time you spent really living! Such a great blog series, Kara xx

Thank you, Quinn! You are 100% right about looking back and not being concerned about the time I wasn’t working. You always have the best advice! x

5. Since I just lost my grandmum, this post resonated with me. I agree, it’s totally fine to have different opinion than the masses. That’s the beauty in having your own mind. Here’s wishing you the best 2019. /Madison
    FASHION TALES

6. Looks like you have learned a lot about yourself darling. Wishing you a fabulous New Year!!!!

I am so sorry for your the loss of your Grandma last Christmas Eve. That is so difficult being so close to Christmas too, I am glad that she loved Christmas as this time of the year could have been extremely hard for you each Christmas, instead, it seems like you can celebrate one of her (and your) favourite times of the year. I lost my Mum in the February (three years ago coming) and my Dad doesn’t like Christmas now as she was in the hospital over the festive period, it can be so hard.
    I love all of the things you learned this December, and I agree with them all! I change my bedding every Sunday! Yes, sparkles do get everywhere!
    This is an amazing post Kara! xx

Thank you for your kind words, Janet! I’m so sorry for your loss of your mom, and I can understand how that time of year can be hard. I hope you still enjoyed your Christmas!

8. Grace Louise says:

Gorgeous post Hun, these pictures are so stunning and I loved reading this 🙂

Grace Louise || http://www.gracelouiseofficial.blogspot.co.uk/

9. Dorota says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Christmas is also one of my favourite times of the year, although I think as I get older I’m more prone to like summer better. I really like your sweater on the pictures.
    Ps.I definitely do not have enough mugs! There is no such thing as enough mugs!
    Dorota

I lost my grandfather on Christmas Eve so I understand. It gets better with time for sure. And yes we all have take time off. I took off this past week from blogging. It is good to refresh.

11. Kinga K says:

Very good lesson 🙂

12. Nina says:

nice post dear!! have a happy day and a great new year! xx

La ilusión de Nina – http://lailusiondenina.blogspot.com/

13. Samantha says:

Such a great post! Happy New Year!
    ~Samantha

So good to take some time and reflect, especially when you’re experiencing a loss. Sending you good vibes for 2019, lady!

You look so beautiful! happy new year!!

This is such a wonderful read dear. Time is definitely the most precious thing in this world. It flies fast, and we all have only a finite amount of it, so spend it wisely.

17. Kasie says:

This is such a wonderful, thoughtful post. I especially love the lesson that “it’s okay not to feel the same way everyone else does”. That is SO true and important to keep in mind as we go through life. May 2019 bring joy and growth into your life!

18. Len Parent says:

Love your cardigan, Kara. Perfect styling as always!
    Have a great week!