Being More Mindful Of The Content You Consume

01/13/2019

One of my main focuses for this year is to become more mindful of the content I consume. Most of us spend a decent amount of our free time online, whether that be watching videos, looking at photos, or reading people’s blogs, tweets, and even books. After a while, it can be hard to realize the effect the content you are consuming can have on you. So I thought I would share a few questions to ask yourself to see if the content you are consuming is serving you in a positive way!

Does it make you happy?

If the content you follow on Instagram, Youtube, blogs, etc. makes you happy, then continue following it! But if you notice a certain account’s content doesn’t leave you feeling good after seeing it, then it may be best to say goodbye to it for the time being.

Do you feel inspired by it?

Online content can be the perfect place to get inspiration, so take note of what leaves you feeling inspired and what does not.

What am I getting from this content?

Overall it’s important to know what exactly you’re getting from the content you are following. Is it informing you, giving you inspiration, tips, or just simply makes you happy?

Is almost all of the content positive or negative?

With there being so much negative news out there already in the world, there really isn’t a reason to follow any extra content that doesn’t leave you feeling a bit positive. Not everything will be positive and often times it’s great to see that other people feel the same way as you. But if almost everything someone posts is constantly negative, it may not be the best account to follow.

Is this a good use of my time?

Now let’s be honest, there are a ton of things that might be considered a “better use of time” than watching a video or reading a blog, but if overall something brings you enjoyment than don’t stop doing it! But we only have so many hours, so be mindful of how you spend your time.

Am I actually interacting with the content or just following it because I have been for a while?

It’s easy to just be seeing someone’s content because you’ve been following them for a long time, but do you actually interact with it? This was what I did when I went through the Instagram accounts I followed that don’t follow me back. I realized there were a few that I wasn’t interacting with anymore and just continued following them because I had been for years. It’s 100% okay to unfollow anything at any time!

And those are some questions to ask yourself to help you be more mindful of the content you consume! For me personally, I spent the beginning of this year clearing out the Youtube channels I was subscribed to. I unsubscribed from anything that I wasn’t watching regularly and anything that didn’t leave me feeling happy after I watched it.  All of the blogs I read are absolutely lovely and always inspire me, so I made no changes there. Clearing out what you follow online is needed from time to time!

52 responses to “Being More Mindful Of The Content You Consume”

1. Patricia says:

Really good advice, Kara! I definitely need to make a few changes after reading your tips!

2. really good advice, thanks so much for sharing

This is so important as we spend so much of our time online. The content we look at must always inspire us and bring us happy feelings.

4. Carina says:

So true love! These days, there’s so much content out there we really have to be careful in selecting ones that are actually valuable and helpful to us. Otherwise the rest are just pure junk, lots of hate speech and unwarranted things we don’t really need. This is particularly true with younger girls whose minds are still forming! Love your post 😍

My husband is constantly on me about this topic! And I agree. It’s very important to realize how read/watch/even glance at affects our lives. As per usual, such a wise post, Kara! Happy Monday, beautiful xx

6. Hannah says:

This is such good advice! I think it’s important to be mindful of what we consume, and only follow those who inspire us and leave us feeling happy xx

Hannah | https://luxuryblush.co.uk

These are such great tips. It really is so easy to get into a pattern of consuming content that is detrimental in some way. You’re right that it’s important to sometimes re-evaluate and possibly clear some things out. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions on how to do that.

This is a great reminder! Thanks for the thoughtful posts!

9. These are some great tips. I try to clean out me social media a few times a year.

10. Kasie says:

This is all such wonderful advice, Kara and it’s exactly why I love your blog. You share thoughtful, thought-provoking content that makes me stop and think about my choices. Thank you for sharing!

11. Joti says:

It’s a good time of year to reevaluate and declutter!

Joti

12. Melissa Kacar says:

I love this post! It’s so important to reevaluate what truly makes you happy and feeling fulfilled! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

This is such good advice! With having social media for a few years you’ll find people and their content changes – it makes sense to review and make sure you are following content that brings you a smile or motivation – life is too short for things that make you feel down in anyway!

Hope that your week is off to a good start! I just posted a new linkup on my blog if you want to check it out 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog

Thank you, Mica! You are exactly right about people’s content changing and life is too short for that! x

14. Great advice Kara, and yes I agree if something or someone inspires you then by all means follow them.

This is great advice Kara! I always love to read your blog, your content is definitely positive and motivating! You do get me thinking! With regards to Instagram, I absolutely look at new followers and ask myself “am I going to feel positive about seeing this person account”? So now I just don’t follow automatically back. Hope you have had a great start to the new week lovely xx

Aw thank you so much, Janet! I’m so happy to hear that! I do the same thing and I now only follow accounts I genuinely love. It makes Instagram more enjoyable!

There is a lot of information through social media and even if it only takes you a few minutes to read, most of the content is not worth to go through. Loving your thoughts about this topic, we shouldn’t waste our time because it’s precious.

17. Jaydee_x says:

I recentlu unfollowed a Youtuber because they were so negative and it really affected me to the point I carried their mannerisms into my daily life. It sucked! Since I’ve unfollowed them, I’ve felt more positive. I noticed it more after reading this post! Definitely a good read 🙂

That’s great that you noticed that and unfollowed them! It’s crazy how much of an effect someone can have on you. Thank you, Jaydee! x

I think this is so key to keep in mind- we’re constantly consuming content and if it’s always negative/makes us feel bad, that HAS to have a negative impact on us!

19. Nina says:

This is such a great advice, Kara. I haven’t thought of this yet but I’ve been thinking of my own content last couple of weeks __ I feel like something is not complete for me and I’m trying to figure it out.
    Thanks for this post , this was a good reminder that we have to make sure the content we are checking out online is worth our time. Happy Tuesday dear.

Nina’s Style Blog

Thank you, Nina! That is good that you are taking time to figure your content out. I think this is something every blogger does at some point x

20. Gabrielle says:

This is a brilliantly thought-provoking blog post! It’s a question I think we often forget to ask ourselves. What we see and read contributes to our overall happiness and so it’s a question we really SHOULD be asking ourselves! Such a great read; have a fabulous week babe!

Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

21. You’re absolutely right and I actually did a digital cleanup from some blogs that I just wasn’t inspired by anymore. It’s time to do another one for this year, I usually go over it annually just to see if certain content hold my interest anymore. I also ask myself, does this serve me in any way, am I learning something, etc.? Thanks for sharing! /Madison

That’s great that you did a digital cleanup, and those are all good questions to ask yourself! x

22. Jenifer says:

This is such an interesting concept to talk about! I agree for the sake of mental health to really break down which types of content are good and which are toxic. I really like what you have to say about this.
    xx Jenifer

23. Gemma says:

Such a great post and advice. You have made some great points and I’m definitely going to take them away with me. Have a great week.

Gemma x

24. Ann says:

Great tips.
    Love your pics and sweater.

Ann