Defining Your Own Success

01/24/2019

Success is something we hear about from a young age to inspire us to reach our goals. But the older I get the more I’ve realized that what success means is completely up to you. Pretty much everyone wants to be successful in life in some way. But it can be hard to figure out what exactly that would mean to you. I thought I would share a few thoughts on success and some tips for defining your own success!

Determine what really matters to you

The only way you can be “successful” is to determine what exactly success is to you, with both short term and long term things. Making a list of goals you want to achieve can be a big help, but don’t forget to include the little things. It can be something as simple as sticking to an exercise routine, finally organizing your space, to something bigger like getting the job you want. Success can be the small and big things.

Don’t compare what you want to what others want

It can be so easy to compare someone else’s success to your own. It’s important to remember that everyone has their own path in life and no two people will live the same life. You might not want what someone else is achieving, so don’t compare their journey to yours. And if you do want a similar thing that someone else has achieved, use it as inspiration to know you too can achieve it.

You hold all the power

At the end of the day, it’s you who holds the power to determine what makes you feel like you have been successful. It may just be simply getting up and completing the tasks on your to-do list. Or it could be in the future getting a job that you’ve always dreamed of. You’re the only one who can determine how you feel, and success can only come from you.

For me personally, success is achieving the goals I have in life and even if I don’t complete them all 100%, all that matter is I’ve tried. For me, it’s not letting fear stop me from reaching those goals. But it also one day will be raising happy, healthy kids. When I’m 90 years old (preferably surrounded by lots of dogs, plants, and my loved ones), I want to look back and be happy with my life overall and who I was as a person. And that, to me, will be success.

I’d love to know what success is for you!

26 responses to “Defining Your Own Success”

1. Babita says:

Lovely post Kara! Especially not to compare with others lies everything, from happiness to success!

Xoxo Babita

2. Andreea says:

For me, success means to be happy, to love what I do, to be an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful post!

xo, Andreea | https://www.budistyle.com/en/

3. Gabrielle says:

Determining what really matters to us is great advice; one person’s vision of success doesn’t necessarily match with the next person’s vision. Such a refreshing blog post, great read babe!

aglassofice.com x

4. Chanel says:

This is such a powerful post and I need to remember the theme of this post on days where I feel envious or down. Thanks for sharing!

x,
    S | Je M’appelle Chanel

5. Kasie says:

This is such an insightful post, Kara. I have learned so much about defining my own success (and am STILL learning) over the last year as I moved away from a life full of traditional markers of “success” to embrace one that is much more authentic. It really is all about finding what works for you as an individual and embracing it with all you have!

Thank you, Kasie! That’s great that you took the step to do what’s best for you and finding your own success!

You’re so right with this post. It definitely made me think what success means to me. So true, we determine our own success!

7. I couldn’t agree more that it’s all about the journey. Thanks for your thoughts and loving this casual chic look!

This is such a wonderful post and the photos that go with it are beautiful.

I completely agree that success is very personal and we can’t compare the success of others to our own since they have completely different lives.

I actually have no idea what success is to me at the moment as I’ve recently shifted my views on this topic. It used to be to get a good job and make good money to support the people I love and while I still want to do the later, I’ve started to realize that the former was defined by others and not by what I truly wanted.

Thank you for all the wonderful tips on helping define personal success.

Thank you, Kathrin! Our definition of success does change over time, but it’s good that you realized that wasn’t what you truly wanted. Life is too short to do something because someone else thinks you should.

I love this Kara! I totally agree with you that one person’s success is not going to be another person’s success, but we can take inspiration from them. I definitely feel successful for the small things in life I achieve, whether that is checking things off my to-do list or getting all the housework done for that day. Have a wonderful weekend lovely xx

I’m so happy you liked it, Janet! That is great that you feel successful for the small things. It’s a good reminder that success isn’t just about the big things. I hope everything is going well with you!

10. Ivana Split says:

Yes to defying our own success! Very inspiring writing.
    Love your coat. Great outfit.

I am loving the red bag with the grey coat and top! It looks like a cosy outfit combo 🙂

I agree success is different for different people! Having happy healthy kids is definitely my goal too 🙂

Hope that you are having a nice weekend 🙂 We spent yesterday on the bay celebrating Australia day – despite the heat! Our heatwave continues!

Away From The Blue Blog

12. Patricia says:

I love what you wrote about not comparing yourself to others! That is something I live by but I notice many stumble on this too often and it saddens me. Another lovely post!

13. Yiota says:

Beautiful post!!! It’s difficult to not compare ourselves with others, I used to do that all the time but it takes time and hard work to get there!!! We must be patient and do what we love!! xx

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

This is such a great read dear, and I couldn’t agree more, especially on the last one. Indeed, you’re the captain of your own ship – you hold the power.