Finding Your Personal Style

03/14/2019

Just like with everything in life, our personal style is forever changing. Which can be a good thing since most of us don’t want to be dressing like we did 10 years ago. But with your clothing taste changing + there being so many stores you can shop at, it can be hard and a bit overwhelming to find what style you really like. I thought I would share a few of my tips that I’m currently using for finding your personal style!

You don’t have to stick to “one style”

One thing that would always confuse me when I was younger was what “style” my personal style fit into to. Was it preppy, sporty, classic? Always keep in mind that you don’t have to stick to one style! You can have many different styles in your wardrobe and I personally find that to be a good thing. This way, on days where you want to dress up you have choices, and on days where you want to be a bit preppy or bold, you have choices too!

Be Open To Change

With your style changing, being open to change is needed. There might be styles of clothing that 5 years ago you swore you would never wear and now you might like them. Just be open to change and trying new styles!

Stick to timeless pieces with a hint of trends

One rule that I’ve adopted in my wardrobe after buying too many trend pieces and only wearing them once, is to stick to timeless pieces with a hint of trendy items. So my goal is to always have at least 80% of my wardrobe be timeless pieces and the other 20% be trend items. This way you still have the fun of trying out new trends each season without the commitment!

Create A Fashion Mood Board

Having a visual representation of the kind of clothing you like all in one place is a huge help. Pinterest is one of my favorite places to do this! Create a few boards with outfit inspiration and outfit ideas that you can reference whenever you’re shopping or just want to restyle what already is in your wardrobe. You can also do this on Instagram too. Create a collection and every time you see an outfit you like, save it!

Discover What Stores You Like To Shop At

Narrowing down what store’s clothing you love makes shopping much easier. This doesn’t mean that you will forever be stuck with only shopping at these stores. It’s just a great starting point for figuring out what styles you prefer. For me personally, my favorite places to shop are ASOS, Zara, Uniqlo, American Eagle, Target, and online clothing boutiques.

Wear What Makes You Happy!

At the end of it all, just wear what makes you happy! If you feel good and happy wearing something, then that is all that really matters. Clothing is a personal expression and staying true to what you love is always the best choice.

Wearing: Blouse: Uniqlo | Cardigan: Uniqlo | Jeans: American Eagle | Bandana: Madewell

And those are some tips for finding your personal style! I’m still on the journey of finding my personal style and honestly, the best thing you can do is to just have fun with it! I’d love to know if you’ve found your personal style + what styles you prefer.

14 responses to “Finding Your Personal Style”

1. Demi says:

Love this – definitely agree to be open on change.

Demi | http://demibang.com/

2. Hi Kara
    Nice tips I have that problem what is my style?
    Our taste is going to evolve but I think as you say the best is betting on timeless pieces.
    And your outfit is only timeless pieces and I love that.
    XOXO

marisasclosetblog.com

3. Khanak Mehta says:

I love these tips! The point about timeless pieces – I fully agree. While your style is changing and evolving, those pieces help keep some consistency, and you don’t have to run out and buy new pieces every time you change your look. Great post!
    Khanak x

4. This is such a cute look, I love your scarf

5. Olga says:

Such a lovely outfit!You look gorgeous:-)

I really enjoy trying new things when it comes to fashion and if I fall in love with them, I make them part of my wardrobe.
    Finding our own style is a fun process we all go through.

7. Jade Goddard says:

Your style is stunning!!

jadieegosh

8. I couldn’t agree more with all these tips! I love to mix different styles. Love this casual chic look!

9. Marie says:

Very spot on, dear! I agree on wearing different styles, me, I can say my style is classic, but on some days I want to wear something kawaii. Because our style reflects our different likes and favorites. Cute scarf, you are lovely, carina!

Marie
    theflowerduet.blogspot.com

10. Anna Piper says:

Such great tips- especially the 80% classic and 20% trendy tip. I have a lot of clothes but it feels like I have nothing to wear, so I try to reinvent my clothes and wear them in ways I haven’t thought of before, which has helped to extend the longevity of my wardrobe.

-Anna // https://theyoungeclectic.com

11. Gabrielle says:

Being open to change is a huge part of finding your personal style; this post is filled with good advice! Hope you’re having a lovely weekend so far 🙂

aglassofice.com x

Ah yes personal style, styling in of itself is not as easy as it looks. In high school and a bit of college I was all about changing my look: new wave, punk, goth, emo, dyed my hair every color under the sun.

Then kind of went semi alternative and then got more in to fashion itself. My personal style has changed quite a bit since I started blogging sometimes I look back at what I wore and think, what was I thinking? Hahaha

Personal style can be difficult to find, but I think that the best way is truly to just wear what makes you happy so that was my favorite tip. I also like to use Pinterest for outfit inspiration, but I do things slightly differently when I shop. If I’m holding a piece I love, but am not sure how to wear, I’ll do a quick Pinterest search on my phone to see if I like how it looks styled by others and I feel inspired by these looks. If I do, I’ll buy the piece. Otherwise it stays in the store.

Thanks for sharing all these great tips Kara!

Very well said dear, and I couldn’t agree more, especially on being open to changes. Love your look, so cozy and cute, especially the pop of blue and red.