Just like with everything in life, our personal style is forever changing. Which can be a good thing since most of us don’t want to be dressing like we did 10 years ago. But with your clothing taste changing + there being so many stores you can shop at, it can be hard and a bit overwhelming to find what style you really like. I thought I would share a few of my tips that I’m currently using for finding your personal style!
You don’t have to stick to “one style”
One thing that would always confuse me when I was younger was what “style” my personal style fit into to. Was it preppy, sporty, classic? Always keep in mind that you don’t have to stick to one style! You can have many different styles in your wardrobe and I personally find that to be a good thing. This way, on days where you want to dress up you have choices, and on days where you want to be a bit preppy or bold, you have choices too!
Be Open To Change
With your style changing, being open to change is needed. There might be styles of clothing that 5 years ago you swore you would never wear and now you might like them. Just be open to change and trying new styles!
Stick to timeless pieces with a hint of trends
One rule that I’ve adopted in my wardrobe after buying too many trend pieces and only wearing them once, is to stick to timeless pieces with a hint of trendy items. So my goal is to always have at least 80% of my wardrobe be timeless pieces and the other 20% be trend items. This way you still have the fun of trying out new trends each season without the commitment!
Create A Fashion Mood Board
Having a visual representation of the kind of clothing you like all in one place is a huge help. Pinterest is one of my favorite places to do this! Create a few boards with outfit inspiration and outfit ideas that you can reference whenever you’re shopping or just want to restyle what already is in your wardrobe. You can also do this on Instagram too. Create a collection and every time you see an outfit you like, save it!
Discover What Stores You Like To Shop At
Narrowing down what store’s clothing you love makes shopping much easier. This doesn’t mean that you will forever be stuck with only shopping at these stores. It’s just a great starting point for figuring out what styles you prefer. For me personally, my favorite places to shop are ASOS, Zara, Uniqlo, American Eagle, Target, and online clothing boutiques.
Wear What Makes You Happy!
At the end of it all, just wear what makes you happy! If you feel good and happy wearing something, then that is all that really matters. Clothing is a personal expression and staying true to what you love is always the best choice.
And those are some tips for finding your personal style! I’m still on the journey of finding my personal style and honestly, the best thing you can do is to just have fun with it! I’d love to know if you’ve found your personal style + what styles you prefer.
Hi there! Kara'sCloset is a lifestyle blog where I sharing my adventure through my twenties, life's simple moments, and blogging tips with lots of outfits in between. I'm glad you're here, and I hope you find some inspiration!
Hi there! Kara'sCloset is a lifestyle blog where I share my adventure through my twenties, life's simple moments, and blogging tips with lots of outfits in between. I'm glad you're here, and I hope you find some inspiration!