Tips For Taking Outfit Photos

03/21/2019

One of the hardest parts about blogging or creating content can be being in front of the camera. Posing for photos doesn’t come naturally to everyone, which is perfectly normal. But it makes wanting to share outfit photos a bit harder. Now I am by no means an expert, but after taking outfit photos for almost 3 years, I’ve learned some tips that have helped me a lot. I thought I would share my tips for taking outfit photos for your blog or Instagram and hopefully it helps!

Picking The Right Background

The background is the second most important thing besides the outfit. Make sure that the location you choose compliments the colors in the outfit you’re wearing. Neutral backgrounds are usually my go-to, but it’s also good to have a few colorful backgrounds too for when you’re wearing neutrals. I suggest taking one full body photo first to see if the background + outfit look how you want it to.

It’s also a good idea to have a list of different locations! There are plenty of times where I think one place will work out, but it doesn’t because there are too many people or it’s in direct sunlight. Having a list of places you know work for taking photos just makes it easier. Spend an afternoon looking for different locations and make a list of them. If you can, take a friend and have them photograph you in each location so you can see what you like!

A few other things to keep in mind when picking locations:

Posing for photos

The hardest thing when you first start taking outfit photos is figuring out how to “pose”. For me, I used to never smile so all of my old outfit photos look like I’m pissed. It can be very awkward at first, but just know that the more you do it the more natural it becomes! Take some time either on camera or in the mirror to see what kind of poses look good but natural too. Pinterest is also a great place to get ideas on new poses to use!

Taking Photos

If you happen to use a photographer for your outfit photos then they should be able to help you with where to stand and know how to take the photos. I personally have my lovely mom take all of my outfit photos, and if you’re having a friend or family member take them then you’ll probably have to give them some help. A few things to keep in mind:

Editing The Photos

Now the fun part: editing! How you edit your photos is really all up to you. Everyone has their own distinct style which is what makes photography fun. Editing your photos is really is up to what you like, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

Wearing: Blazer: H&M (similar) | Blouse: Uniqlo | Jeans: American Eagle | Cut-Out Flats: Target | Purse: Target

And those are my tips for taking outfit photos! I hope this helped and just remember that the more you do it the easier it becomes.

17 responses to “Tips For Taking Outfit Photos”

1. Shannon says:

This is honestly so helpful! I’m really trying to get better at taking outfit photos because I suck at it, I just never know how to pose haha x

Shannon | https://shannonmichelle1.blogspot.com

2. Hannah says:

This is so helpful! I hate posing, so always avoid outfit photos and stick solely to makeup, as it’s easier for me. I definitely need to push myself out of my comfort zone though! These tips are great, thank you for sharing xx

Hannah | luxuryblush

3. jane says:

Such a chic look
    Love the style

Much Love,
    BLOG |

4. Lovely says:

Awesome tips Kara and are very similar to how I take my outfit photo. Here’s to fabulous weekend darling.

5. These are wonderful tips! My photographer hates sunlight. Lol! In love with your chic blazer.

Ah so many great tips here. And direct sunlight such a no no. But there is a street style photographer I follow and always gets these photos were his subjects are in shadow but rimmed by sunlight. I don’t know how he does, “que the solar rim light!” lol

7. Ellese says:

Wonderful tips babe! Background is so essential. Thanks for sharing. Xo, Ellese

Rock.Paper.Glam.

These are good tips! I miss the days when I could go around and find different backdrops for photos, haha! Now it’s a quick photo in the same spot on our way out the door each morning – as taking a tripod and two toddlers anywhere further is too difficult, ha! 🙂

Hope you are having a lovely weekend 🙂

Away From The Blue

9. Gemma Etc. says:

So many great tips for fashion bloggers, I would be awful at posing haha xx

GemmaEtc.com

10. These are great tips, I always wait for golden hour

11. Nancy says:

These are super useful tips for taking outfit pictures! YESSS On picking the right background. Nothing worse than picking a background that is too distracting or contrasting from your outfit. I never liked direct sunlight pictures, but night-time pictures are worse. Thanks for sharing these tips :)!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

12. Elisa says:

Nice tips! The right location is always the hardest part (to me) but also so funny!
    xx Elisa
    DIY & LIFESTYLE BLOG

Thanks for the great tips! I especially like the point about having a list of locations. I keep one on my phone and I tend to go through it when I plan to take photos and choose the one I think will work. Keeping it on my phone also allows me to add to it if I see a cool location while I’m out.

I used to feel so awkward taking photos, and while I can’t say that I feel comfortable now, it has definitely gotten easier. I still can’t handle when strangers stop what they’re doing just to stare so that’s one I’m still working on 🙂

I hope you have a great week.

14. Ivana Split says:

These are great tips for taking photographs! love that blazer btw. You look very pretty.

15. Anna Piper says:

Great tips! I’m always trying to spice up my outfit pics 🙂

-Anna | https://theyoungeclectic.com

16. Hi Kara! Great tips! My fiance takes my photos and it took a lot of directing on my end to ensure he got the shot I envisioned. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient with him because it’s not like he’s a professional photographer lol. I think it’s great that your mom takes your photos! She does a great job!
    I really want to improve on the editing aspect!

xx, Des | https://www.itsbetterinheels.com/