Building A Wardrobe You Love

04/14/2019

Shopping and adding new items to your wardrobe can be fun and a great way to treat yourself, but it also can get a bit overwhelming with how much there is to choose from. Over the years I’ve made my fair share of bad clothing purchases, which has helped me learn what I really enjoy wearing. So if you’re adding new items to your wardrobe this season or are not loving what’s currently in your closet, here are some tips for building a wardrobe you love!

Neutrals with pops of colors

If you love color then add as much of it as you like to your wardrobe! After all personal style is all about wearing what you want. But if you don’t tend to wear color that much, the best thing to do is have more neutral items in your wardrobe with a few pieces in your favorite color(s). This way on days where you want to wear color you have choices but you also have plenty of choices on days where you don’t want to wear lots of color.

Versatile Items Are Key

When shopping, a good thing to do is figure out at least 3 different ways you can wear that item with what is already in your closet. Now that doesn’t mean you can’t buy an item from time to time that’s not versatile. But having more versatile items in your wardrobe means more outfits to choose from! And you can get more cost per wear on each item too.

Don’t Love It, Don’t Buy It

There are plenty of times when shopping where you try on an item and you don’t love it but you like it. Chances are you’ll probably get some wear out if it, but a good rule to have is if you don’t 100% love it, don’t buy it! Having only items that you love in your wardrobe means picking an outfit will be easier. This means it will take longer to find the right items, but it’s worth it in the end.

Make Mistakes

The best way to learn in life is to make mistakes. And no matter how careful you are there will still be times where you will make not so great clothing purchases, and that’s okay! Over time you’ll learn what items you just don’t seem to ever wear and what kinds of items and styles you get the most wear out of.

Wear What Makes You Happy + Comfortable

The best thing about personal style is wearing what you love, so you might as well wear items that make you happy! It doesn’t matter what trends are popular or what everyone else is wearing. All that matters is you buy clothing that you feel comfortable in and when you put them on you feel good + happy!

Jumpsuit | Rust Top (similar) | Bandana | Cut-Out Shoes | Crossbody Purse

And those are some tips for building a wardrobe you love! I hope this helps and just remember to have fun with discovering your personal style + finding what you love to wear!

18 responses to “Building A Wardrobe You Love”

I think these are wonderful tips for building a wardrobe you love and I agree that loving every item you buy is especially important since those are the items that end up making us the happiest when we wear them. I also like the idea of mostly buying items for which you can come up with 3 different ways to wear them. Sometimes when I’m really not sure if I’ll get enough wear out of something, I’ll do a quick search on my phone to see how others styled it and see if it speaks to me.

I like that… being able to imagine ways to wear that one item before buying it. I tend to do that with every clothing item I see in store LOL!

I totally agree that you should only wear those items that you feel comfy in. Trends come and go but it’s not necessarily that you always jump on the bandwagon it it doesn’t suit you. I’m not spending that huge amounts on clothes anymore, I prefer to have more quality than quantity. That jumpsuit looks gorgeous on you!

4. Lovely says:

These are great tips Kara, I am so with you on wearing what makes you happy. I always have a wardrobe clear out every year.

I need to be taking serious notes on this post! If you don’t love it, don’t buy it – eggscellent advice. I’ve been trying to get into the habit of that and I have to say, I don’t hate it. Happy Monday, Kara!

6. I agree with all of your tips! You look amazingin this jumpsuit and love the added scarf for a pop of color!

7. Hello Kara
    I wear only what makes me happy, I love clothes and vibrant colors lets say I love Blaire style and looks!!
    But also love simple things for the day life, I love jeans and denim skirts with a white tee. Sometimes I make some buying mistakes but is okay, no problem!

marisasclosetblog.com

8. Ivana Split says:

I couldn’t agree more with you, great words of advice and tips for building a wardrobe we will love. We all need versatile items in our closet, they make getting dresses so much easier, especially when we are in a hurry. Neutral items are also perfect for putting together a number of different looks. Even for lovers of bold colours, neutral items can really come in handy. For those who don’t like colour as much, they are simply essential. It is always easy to throw in a bit of colour with accessories or that one colourful item. I also agree that we shouldn’t buy something that we don’t really love.

9. Jen says:

Love the mix of these colors! You look so beautiful on them ♥

10. Katherine says:

I agree, versatile items are so important! It really makes me feel like my purchase was worth it haha

11. Mercy says:

Adding a scarf is really creative and cute! These are good tips for a functional new wardrobe.

12. Tania Franco says:

Woderful advice Kara! In 2016 I realized I was spending too much on clothes and I decided to be more of a minimalist with shopping. I did a closet clean out and focused on colors I loved and neutrals. I got rid of everything I didn’t wear by selling, giving it away to friends, or donating. It just feels so good to love everything you own! I love all the pieces you were because they are stylish with subtle details, my fave. Hope you’re doing wonderful!

xx,
    Tania

I’m digging these wadrobe building tips- SO true that you really need to LOVE the items you purchase, otherwise you end up with a stuffed closet of things you just sorta feel “meh” about.

And this jumpsuit on you! So cute!

14. Naya says:

What a well written guide, Kara! I love your tips. I think if you do not make mistakes first, you won’t really know what works for you and what doesn’t. I also think that I know my style so much better now that I am in my mid 20s. You live and you learn, I guess! 😀

Naya

15. Susie Ray says:

Don’t love it, don’t buy it – I totally agree! I find when I buy things I am unsure about I never usually wanna wear them ahah it is such a waste! Also versatile items are so IMPORTANT – I couldnt agree more!! Hope you are having a nice day!

findyourownhope.com

16. Anna says:

Great tips! I love the idea of figuring out at least 3 different ways to wear smth before purchasing! Will use it for sure!

Have a nice week!
    Anna

17. I love the idea of a pop of colour. Because you can stick with tones that work so well together. Your inspiration is lovely 🙂

18. Great tips! And very interesting outfit!