Spending Less Time Online This Summer

06/30/2019

The warmer months are perfect for spending less time online and more time outside in the sunshine. It can be so easy to spend most of our free time on our phone or computer (I do this a bit too much), but taking time to unplug is always a good idea. I thought I would share a few of my favorite things to do this summer that doesn’t involve being online + a few tips!

Going For Walks + Hikes

Nature is the best for helping me be in the present moment and it always is the perfect reminder of all the simple beauty surrounding us. If hiking is something you love than I highly suggest going for a few hikes this summer. But even something as simple as going for a walk every day can be good for the soul. And if you’re just not really a nature person, you can always try having lunch outside a few times a week or reading a book outside.

A Hobby That Requires Your Full Attention

One of the best ways to not be tempted to pick up your phone is to find a hobby or something you enjoy doing that requires your full attention. This could be anything from gardening, baking, drawing, painting, reading, and so much more!

Spend Time With Your Favorite People

Spend some quality time this summer with some of your favorite people. Go out for lunch, have a picnic in a park, do some window shopping, or just have a chat with some tea or coffee. One thing I’ve been doing a lot this summer is organizing and decluttering with my mom. It’s perfect because I don’t feel the need to look at my phone + I’m getting rid of what I no longer need!

Schedule Time Away From Your Phone

It can sometimes be hard not to subconsciously pick up your phone to check it throughout the day. To help, set aside a few hours each day where you are not on your phone. I personally do this in the afternoon, but it could be whenever is best for your schedule. If you can, put your phone in a different room and leave it there for an hour or two.

Everything’s Good In Moderation

There’s nothing wrong with spending time online getting inspired, learning, being entertained, working, or whatever else you like to do. But there’s so much of the world happening around us that we are missing when we spend too much time online. (Almost) everything is good in moderation. So take some time this summer to soak up the sunshine!

T-Shirt: Uniqlo | Black Pants: Target (Who What Wear) | Mules: DSW | Purse: Target

I’d love to know what you enjoy doing during the warmer months!

25 responses to “Spending Less Time Online This Summer”

1. Love those pants on you!

I love the idea of unplugging during these warmer months. I’m guilty of spending sunny days indoors glued to my phone or laptop sometimes. My partner and I just moved back home from our travels and currently in limbo (waiting to move into our place in a week) but I can’t wait to try out some recipes, learn cross stitching and hit some fitness classes and hikes again!

This is so true, I feel like there has been a bit of backlash against social media and in particular IG. It seems many people are fed up with the ever changing algorithm and how it is designed to keep you on the platform 24/7.

Social media has it’s place and I do love the idea of You Tube but yes we need to get out actually live our lives.

3. I have several beaches near me I intented to go to the beach, actually I went many times this year. But my life is my blog so I cant see me without blogging!!
    They are good tips to stay away from social media.

marisasclosetblog.com

4. Ivana Split says:

These are great tips for spending less time online, something we could all benefit from, especially in the summer.
    I love your blue and black styling, this is a very elegant outfit. You look lovely.

5. I love to take walks and enjoy the summer because it goes too fast! I take a break from Instagram on weekend which really helps. Love this casual look!

I feel like I definitely spend less time online during the summer. I love going out and when I do I rarely use my phone. I enjoy being present surrounded by great company.

7. Gemma says:

Such great tips here Kara. I plan to do this too.

Have a great day!

Gemma x

I think this is really important- we’re just so used to having our phones with us, always, all the time, that it makes unplugging even more important.

I’m an avid gardener (crazy plant lady over here) and love doing this in the spring + summer!

These are great tips! 🙂 I find that with kids I naturally spend more time away from the computer – there’s just too much to do with them! although in summer here it can sometimes be too hot to be outside for long, haha! We do like early mornings at the park though 🙂

I hope that you are having a great week so far 🙂

I’d definitely need to try this. I find long walks quite therapeutic.

I can definitely spend too much time indoors working on various projects. I’m not always online, but I am very often on my computer when I should be enjoying the beautiful weather outside.

Thanks for the great tips! Hiking is actually one of my favorite things to do. Nature is so beautiful and no matter where I hike, I always find something wonderful.

12. Lovely says:

What a great idea hun, I so need to give this a try! Looking fab as always, have a wonderful day darling.

13. Naya says:

I love this! Actually, I just got back from a two-week vacation, where I literally spent 0 time online (aside from scrolling through emails once a day). It feels so good, honestly. Naturally, I can’t do this all the time, but scheduling offline activities is so much more rewarding xx

Naya
    nayatilly.com

14. Yvonne says:

I must admit that I spend too much time on social media! I should get out a bit more often and go for walks in the forest or along the lake. These are great tips!

15. Missy May says:

This post came at the right time my dear Kara. I was thinking about this yesterday. For the past few weeks I devoted almost too much time on IG that I neglected doing my devotion. Thanks much for the confirmation. Great post!

16. Liz says:

Thank you for the tips! I definitely need to unplug from virtual reality for some time to cleanse my thoughts 🙂

Lots of love ♥ January Girl

17. Kinga says:

Very good choice 🙂

18. Melissa Kacar says:

I definitely want to spend less time online this summer, too! These are all such useful tips! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

melissakacar.blogspot.com

19. Jacob says:

Your pants are so cute. I like this point, it is very important.

New post: Read more

Amen, amen to this! My husband was just talking to me yesterday about taking another unplugged vacation this summer. It’s incredible how much time we can ‘waste’ online without thinking about it. I love the idea of really diving into a hobby instead of scrolling/posting/Facebook stalking. Beautiful outfit as always, Kara!

21. Eva Redson says:

such an interesting blogpost! love it 🙂

Check out my latest blog post: The best of Rome Fashion Week
    —> https://www.evaredson.com/2019/07/altaroma-july-2019-best-shows-trends.html

xx Eva

I do love summertime. Spending the days outside and enjoying the sun makes me so happy, it’s really worth it to stow away the phone. Love to hike too, the views are so stunning!

23. Angie says:

So thankful for finding this post, it was something I definitely needed to read. I’ve been recently trying harder to unplug (and have struggled a bit with this! I’ve realized it’s a lot tougher than it seems) but I’ve definitely got books to be read and hikes planned! Just gotta try harder at limiting my online time. : ) Thank you for sharing!!!

Angie | aseagreen.com

24. Nancy says:

It is great to spend less time online when you have the chance. I am not saying to cut it out but we have better things to do sometimes, in real life. I love spending time with others in person. It feels so much more intimate than texting. Thanks for sharing some of these great ideas!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

25. Anna says:

Great ideas! Completely agree that everything is good in moderation! I often feel like in this digital age we don´t have a good balance with tech stuff and forget to unplug! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anna/ http://atlifestylecrossroads.com