Making Time For What You Enjoy

09/15/2019

Productivity Tips Blogging

Life always seems to get a bit busier at this time of year, which means having less free time to do what you enjoy. For me personally, it has become a juggling game between work, going back to college, and finding time to blog, sew, read, and have downtime. I have figured out a few things that have helped me make time for what I love and decided to share them to hopefully help you if you are experiencing the same thing. Here are a few things to keep in mind and tips on ways to make more time for what you enjoy!

Making Time For Hobbies

15 minutes is better than none

This is something I try to remind myself of frequently. Whenever it came to doing something like blogging or sewing, if I only had 15 minutes I would tell myself it wasn’t enough time. Which is the farthest thing from the truth! 15 minutes really is better than spending no time on something at all.

Find those hidden times

For most of us, there is “hidden” time throughout the day that you might be able to use differently. If you’re an early bird, trying getting up a little earlier to give yourself 15-20 minutes extra time. If you are a night owl, you can give yourself that time in the evening. Just make sure you are getting the right amount of sleep.

Another great time is during your lunch hour! Although this won’t work for everything (you can’t really bring out a sewing machine at the office), I find it’s perfect for catching up on some blog work or reading a book.

Productivity Tips Simple Living

It’s okay to have no time

Although having 15 minutes extra a day is great, it is also completely okay to have days or weeks where you just want to spend any free time doing nothing! Sometimes life gets a little hectic and your hobbies have to be put to the side for a bit. Don’t feel guilty if you can’t make time for something. All that matters is that you do what’s best for you.

Making time for what you enjoy

How I’ve been making more time for what I enjoy:

For me personally, the things I currently like to do in my free time are blogging, sewing, and reading. In order to make more time, I have cut down on how much time I spend online in the evenings. Instead of watching videos or scrolling through Instagram (there are still evenings where this is all I do), I’ll either sew, curl up with a book, or work on blog work. It really is all about making choices and deciding what you really want to do that day.

And those are some tips for making more time for what you enjoy! I hope this helps and I know that this won’t work for everyone. It’s just good to remember that having things you enjoy to do outside of work or school is really important. And if the thing that you enjoy is doing nothing, then go for it!

36 responses to “Making Time For What You Enjoy”

These are good tips! I find time to myself hard to get as a mum, so I make the most of the time I do have to relax and do something I enjoy so I’m more present with my boys when they are up – naptime and when they go to bed in the evenings are the little bits of time I get! πŸ™‚

Hope that you had a great weekend! πŸ™‚

2. Mercy says:

I believe in searching for that “me time” too as it re-invigorates us to be more productive and fun to be with. Nice to know that blogging is relaxing for you, sometimes I don’t feel like that anymore as I’m overly committed to other things.

Isn’t this time of year just so hectic?! I needed this post. I am having so much trouble balancing! I love the idea of ’15 minutes is better than none.’ I need to carry that into my fitness routine – I’ve been opting to skip workouts because of time, but I really should just be shortening them. Lovely tips for a Monday especially, Kara!

4. Chanel says:

Such a great post. This connects with me so deeply. Sometimes I think you have to force yourself to find time or it gets lost in all the madness. Do we really need to spend an hour on IG or rewatching the Office? I guess it comes down to priorities too haha.

x,
    S | Je M’appelle Chanel

5. I think it’s so important to have me time too. Sometimes we either get too caught up with work, or spend out time with mindless activites like scrolling through instagram/yt. Which is nice, but not the same I think!

6. Gabrielle says:

You make some excellent points in this post; particularly how just a few minutes is still better than no time at all spent on something we love/enjoy doing! Hope you have a fabulous week!

aglassofice.com x

7. hello Kara
    I loved to know how to sew, but I don’t know. My mother did my clothes when I was little but I never learned, I “envy” you for knowing !!
    I love blogging my extra time is used in blogging, that’s what I love !! but your tips are great !!

marisasclosetblog.com

8. I am so glad you shared this because it is good to know that others can also relate to the struggle of “finding time”. It is such a crazy time of year, with so much to do and so little time. Your tips are so helpful. I am trying my best to exercise more.

Xx
    Nikki

This is so smart- and yes, this time of year does seem to really fill up! I’m busier now than I was a month ago, for sure. Go, go, go- it’s a great tip to find 15-20 minutes to do something you love. I definitely think I can do that!

10. jasna says:

I love that you shared this hun and what you said about..its ok to have no time really rang true to me. Great tips, thank you xx

11. Angie says:

the 15 minutes rule, I love it! At times I tell myself that that’s not enough, then get totally bummed out cause I use any amount of extra time worrying about not having enough time! But in reality 15 minutes is just enough to enjoy a hobby. And totally agree about the Hidden Times. I always bring a book in my bag when I’m transiting to work or school. Thank you for these wonderful tips Kara!

These are really excellent tips dear! Thanks for sharing.

13. olivia says:

agree! 15 minutes is better than not at all! and I’m so excited to know that you’re also into sewing! same! x

olivia | https://amolivia.com

14. Minhal Taher says:

I so agree with the 15 minute tip. Something is better than nothing afterall.

I just recently realised too that even 10 min is still a lot to read a book or get other things done. With work and the kids I always get some time in between for myself, so I’m enjoying the 10 min so much.

16. We can always find time if we make the effort! Thanks for the reminder that it’s important to do so. Love that you sew!

17. Miri says:

I think me time is very important and I realized this especially in the past view days. Thanks for sharing this interesting post with us.

lots of love, Miri

18. Such amazing tips dear! Thanks for sharing.
    Adi xx | http://www.fancycorrectitude.com

So awesome that one of your hobbies is to sew. I wish I knew how.
    Feels so nice when we make time for the things we really enjoy!

20. Katrina says:

“Me time” is definitely some of the most important breaks you can take. Thanks for sharing this post with us!

21. Kinga says:

I agree with you:)

22. Margot says:

Amazing tips.
    I do waste a lot of times scrolling on my phone haha.
    xx
    Margot

23. Great tips. It’s so important to make time for what’s important, even if it’s just short bursts here and there.

Thanks for sharing these great tips! Your posts are always so helpful. I especially like the point about using whatever time you have, even if it’s only 15 minutes. I also used to feel that 15 minutes wasn’t really enough to do anything, but now I’ll tackle smaller tasks if I have a little bit of time or a small part of a larger task.

25. Jamila says:

I love that you sew. I’ve always wanted to teach myself how to do that. It seems a bit complex and meticulous. Maybe I don’t have enough patience but it would be such an eventful hobby to have.

26. This is something that I struggle with so hard! Awesome tips πŸ™‚

Beauty & Colour | Vegan Fashion + Lifestyle Blog

27. Gemma says:

Such a nice post! It’s so important to find the time if you can. Hope your week is off to a good start!

Gemma x

28. shaira says:

This post made me realize some things. Sometimes, I lost my drive and passion in doing the things that was once part of my everyday routine because I get to spend more time now in front of my phone and browsing through my social media accounts. I’d probably try to balance my time again to give way to the things I usually do before that I already miss doing. Thanks for this eye opener post! This means a lot! <3

xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    Blog: http://www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

29. Lovely says:

Such an awesome post darling, love that you sew. Totally agree with taking at least fifteen minutes!

30. Susie says:

I really love this post – making time for things we enjoy is so important! I have been putting my phone and laptop down more too to try do some other things as well πŸ™‚

findyourownhope.com

31. E says:

I should make that too. Sometimes we are in fast everyday every time and we don’t stop to make these little things that we love and that make us happy.
    Kisses,
    E.

Absolutely loving your tips dear!

33. Ivana Split says:

Making time for what we love is so important. Sometimes just ten minutes can make all the difference.

34. Time is so important and I believe that if we mange it properly we will have it enough. Before I was person who complaining that I don’t have time, but then I change my strategy and stop lose time on social media and have it more then enough.

New Post – http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/10/tom-ford-lip-color-rouge-levres-08_5.html