23 Things In 23 Years

10/22/2019

Time is flying by and somehow I am now 23 years old. Last week I celebrated my birthday hiking in one of the most beautiful places with my favorite people. Every year when my birthday “creeps up” on me, I like to reflect on the past year and what lessons I have learned. So for the third year in a row, here are 23 things I’ve learned this year.

You will get there when you are meant to get there. There is no point in trying to rush through life. You’ll end up missing it pass by.

Buy that reusable water bottle. It makes remembering to drink water that much easier.

A clean space equals a clean mind, so spend time once a week to tidy up your space.

Change can be absolutely terrifying at times. Spend time outside of your own head and take it one very small step at a time. It helps to know that someone else has done it before you, so you too can do it.

Trust the universe. It knows what it is doing.

Taking time to rest is just as important, if not more important, than being productive. Make more time for doing nothing.

It’s okay to feel everything or nothing all at once.

Stop buying makeup wipes. They’re bad for your skin and the cost of buying them adds up over time. Buy a gentle cleanser (this one is my current favorite) and clean your face with that every night. Your skin will thank you.

There really is nothing a long walk on a chilly day can’t fix. Spend some time outside when you get a chance.

You need time alone to really get to know yourself.

It truly never is too late to go for what you want and change your direction in life. Half the battle is starting.

Time really does heal most wounds.

Always fold your laundry as soon as it’s done. There’s nothing worse than having to tackle a huge pile of clothes in the future because your current self didn’t do it.

Sometimes I get in this mood where there are certain tasks I just keep putting off doing, and then once I finally do them I actually really enjoy it. So if you do this too, just do the tasks. Our minds have a funny way of making things seem worse than they are.

One of my favorite things about traveling is how it shows you that you really can live with less. Spend your money and energy wisely on what truly brings you joy.

The people you spend this journey called life with really do make all the difference.

Add value, not noise.

As hard as it can be, try to make small changes or try something new every day. Your comfort zone will always be there.

Even though spending time online and on social media can be great and inspiring, it is equally as important to spend time offline. We were not meant to stare at screens all day.

As much as I have hated it in the past, having a weekly exercise routine is important. It’s all about finding what works best for you.

Unsubscribe from those email lists. Unfollow those who no longer inspire you.

Sweater: Target | Skirt: Who What Wear @ Target | Oxfords: Clarks

22 responses to “23 Things In 23 Years”

1. Patricia says:

This post is very thought provoking and inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

Hope you had fun celebrating! Happy 23!

3. cate says:

I adore that you said to trust the universe, it’s a very powerful thing but so true or at least it is very easy to believe in it for me(: Wish you a great 23th bday!

Cate // 35mminstyle

4. Happy 23rd birthday! You are wise beyond your years. I wish I would of known several of these things when I was 23. Amazing post Kara and love these pics!

Happy Birthday Kara! You’ve rounded up the most important things and I completely agree with all of them. I started a weekly exercise routine as well two months ago, it does so good really.

6. You are right about change. I was almost feeling down this year but i step out of it and embraced change.
    New post:

7. Jamila says:

I was immediately drawn into your blog post when you said, “You will get there when you are meant to get there…” Been thinking a lot about my own journey through life and when I will finally reach my desired destination but that sentence seemed to put everything into perspective for me meaning that it will happen when it is supposed to happen and not before. Thanks for sharing! – http://www.jamilakyari.com

Happy belated birthday, Kara! This is all such great advice. Embracing change is a life lesson that you’ll take with you forever. Add value, not noise for sure!

9. Logan says:

These are my favorite types of posts! All of these lessons are so helpful!

xo Logan

10. Ivi says:

Such a great blogpost idea! Delayed happy b-day and thanks for sharing your learnings with us! xoxo

11. shaira says:

Your words are just so inspiring! I love reading blogs like this. “You are worth more than you will ever know. Don’t let anyone else make you feel any less.” This is a quote to live for.

Btw, what do you use to edit your pictures? 🙂

xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    Blog: http://www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

12. These are great insights. I really like this one: If it’s worth it then it is worth the hard work and effort. But it is never worth losing yourself.

13. Angie says:

Love this Kara! cheers to 23, and happy birthday to you!

14. Laura says:

A very Happy Birthday to you and hope you enjoyed celebrating. Some interesting words here and I should certainly do the same thing, at 36 next Jan I certainly have seen how 30’s are very different to my 20’s.

I pray for a happy and wonderful future for you, you are a beautiful girl Kara 🙂

Laura xo

15. Lovely says:

Happy belated 23rd birthday hun, hope you had a fabulous day celebrating. Thanks for the insight!

16. Ivana Split says:

I loved reading your 23 things in 23 years list. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Yes, we were not meant to be behind screen all the time. Technology has its perks, but spending time outside and exercising are very important things as well. Real life socialization is crucial!
    Taking care of ourselves is something that we need to learn as well. It is not a skill we are born with, I think, rather something we develop over the years. Taking the time to listen and get to know ourselves makes it easier.
    Happy (belated?) 23 rd birthday dear!!!!

17. Hello Kara
    happy birthday!!
    reading your phrase: trust in the universe, reminded me of a sentence that says: there are no errors in God’s plans, but what is true is that I am going through a bad phase for some years now, in terms of health, for it, I’m afraid of what the universe has prepared for me !!

marisasclosetblog.com

18. Happy Birthday! Thank you so much for sharing all of these wise words. Your are such a beautiful young woman inside and outside and you know what is important in life.

New Post – http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/10/twilly-dhermes-eau-de-parfum_24.html

19. Coral Almog says:

First of all Happy Birthday!
    Such a nice post and thank you for sharing all your thoughts and things that you learned:)

This is such a beautiful read Kara. I love this, especially on “Rest”. Indeed, it is as important as being productive.

21. Adi says:

Belated happy birthday Kara! We should really spend some time to know ourselves. Absolutely loved the post!
    Adi xx | http://www.fancycorrectitude.com

Happy belated birthday! This is such a wonderful inspiring post. Thanks for sharing all the things that you learned.

I especially like the point about needing to be alone to get to know yourself better.

Ekaterina | Polar Bear Style