Autumn + Winter Sweater Guide

11/05/2019

My favorite clothing piece of all time is sweaters. There’s just nothing better than waking up on a chilly morning, throwing on a slightly oversized sweater, and going about your day. Over the years I have found sweaters that I love and I am now at the point where I don’t buy many anymore. I thought I would share a little autumn & winter sweater guide that includes my favorite places to shop for sweaters, what to look for, and more!

Autumn + Winter Sweater Guide

What To Look For:

Material: One thing that is a bit hard when shopping for sweaters is that they can be made from a wide variety of materials, so it’s best to know what you like and don’t like. For me personally, if a sweater has more than 5% wool in it I can’t wear it. It’s best to always check the material and the washing instructions too! Unless you know you will go to the dry cleaners, avoid buying any that you can’t wash at home.

Color: Knowing the colors you like to wear the most during the colder months makes shopping easier and means you’ll get more wear out of what you buy. My go-to colors for autumn and winter: forest greens, navy, black, gray, and hints of rusts and reds.

Style: Oversized sweaters are pretty much what I live in during the colder months, but they’re not for everyone. Like with everything when picking out clothing, try on different styles and see what you like best. It’s all about comfort in the colder months.

My Favorite Places To Shop:

H&M: Almost all of the sweaters in my wardrobe are from H&M. Some of their clothing isn’t the best quality, but I find that most of their sweaters last a long time. I have had some sweaters from them that I have worn at least once a week for 3 autumn & winter seasons and they still look great. Just stay away from anything that is made from really thin material.

Target: Over the past few years I have really started to love Target’s sweaters. They are always an amazing price and the quality is great too. I recently picked up two new ones this year, including the striped one I am wearing in these photos.

Turtlenecks: Even though these aren’t really considered sweaters, turtlenecks are one of my favorite things to wear so I thought I would include them too. My new favorite place to buy them is Lands End. The quality is incredible, which means they will last for many seasons to come. They are the perfect winter uniform.

Sweater: Target | Jeans: ASOS | Purse: Target

24 responses to “Autumn + Winter Sweater Guide”

I love cosy knits in autumn and winter (and I really like your striped one!). They are a great simple piece to keep warm.

Hope that your week is going well 🙂 It’s a very hot one here! More like summer than spring! Definitely no knits needed, haha!

2. Naya says:

I really enjoyed this read! I only own one oversized sweater, but it is always so much fun to style it xx

Naya

I’m so glad that sweater weather has finally arrived. There is just nothing more cozy than a knit to wear. I love to shop at H&M too.

4. Love this cozy chic sweater! Thanks for all these brands recs for sweaters.

5. Lovely says:

I do love sweaters and if I were in the UK I would be all over them, but as I am currently living in Dubai Depending on the weather I may be able to get away with it. Your sweater is so beautiful and cozy Kara!

Xoxo

6. Marina W says:

I honestly can not wait to move to a higher altitude country so I could start wearing cozy sweaters and cardigans 🙂
    I am loving the vibe of this post 🙂
    Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

– Marina W

7. I’m so ready for sweater weather! Can’t wait to pull out all the big cozy pieces! Turtlenecks are one of my favorite layering pieces this season!

8. Filipa says:

I honestly love a good oversized sweater and turtlenecks! So comfy and stylish at the same time! And I also love knit dresses! Loving the sweater you’re wearing darling Kara!

Xo
    Filipa
    dissectingthelook.com

9. Sam says:

Great tips, I love sweater weather! My go-to is H&M as well and ASOS.
    Love your outfit btw ♥

Sam

10. Melody Jacob says:

That is a very cute sweater
    Have a lovely weekend

11. Kinga says:

Cool sweater ♥

12. Hi Kara
    My favourite piece of cloting are coats and jackets, I’m crazy about them and I have a big collection. About sweaters I love cable knit sweaters, H&M have nice sweaters.

marisasclosetblog.com

13. Eva Redson says:

this guide is amazing! you did a great job 🙂

Check out my new blog post for some Work Outfit Inspiration
    –> https://www.evaredson.com/2019/11/a-business-day-in-rome-winter-2020-work.html

xx Eva

14. Ekaterina says:

These are all great points to consider when buying a sweater. Thanks for sharing these! Turtlenecks are actually one of my favorite things to wear in the colder season because they keep you warm and can be layered in so many different ways 🙂

Ekaterina | Polar Bear Style

15. Mercy says:

This is such a pretty looking sweater, I like the colour combination and stripe design. I remember I had a striped jumper from Target too and I used to wear it all the time.

16. Stephanie says:

I will always love H&M for sweaters, they usually have really great quality pieces.

Love your sweater in these pictures too!

BLOG
    Stephanie Vainer

17. I’m a huge fan of sweaters too. I’ve been waiting all day and I’ve been so hot. I live in southern California & still pretty warm but I want to be festive. I love your rings!! :]

18. Anika says:

Lovely post and photos, I love H&M for oversized jumpers too, plus they’re so affordable!

Anika | chaptersofmay.com

19. adi says:

Loved the post hon! I’m all about oversized silhouettes this season!!
    Adi xx | http://www.fancycorrectitude.com

Right there with you- sweater weather is the BEST. I love when it’s crisp enough to warrant an oversized sweater, but not so cold you need a jacket over the top.

Your sweater is so cute- I love the stripes! Target does it again. 🙂

21. Izzy McLeod says:

Oh yeah I love a good baggy jumper! But I’m the same about wool, it makes me so sad vintage shopping that all of the amazing colourful jumpers seem to be made of wool D: <3

The Quirky Environmentalist

Can’t go wrong with the classic oversized sweater. So cozy and snugly.

23. Oversized sweaters are the best on those really gloomy days! I love the one you have! And I totally Target has really been stepping up their game in the wardrobe dept.! Lol. I also try to pay attention to the material because dry cleaning fees can really add up!

// Des | https://www.itsbetterinheels.com